Author Topic: Michael Penn?  (Read 1159 times)

koshmar

Michael Penn?
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:41:00 am »
Did anyone go to the show at Iota last night?  Worth the trek to Annapolis on Thursday?

jbcapati

Re: Michael Penn?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »
I decided last minute to walk over to Iota for the show.  I'm biased cause I'm a huge fan and love all his albums.  He sounded great as usual, and there was a real laid back flavor to the set.  It was the first show of the tour and he and his keyboardist were still working out the kinks.  His banter was funny, and he mentioned that last time he played Iota he was railing on pres Bush, while not knowing that Jenna Bush was there the whole time. (I was there and don't recall seeing her - not that I was looking.)

He played a selection of tunes from all his albums, with a focus on those songs on the greatest hits collection released this week.  (He jokingly referred to it as his "Greatest Hit" collection.)  Set list anyone?

"Walter Reed" sounded amazing and was the highlight of the set for me.  He took a request from the crowd for "All That That Implies," even though he obviously wasn't prepared to play it.  And for those who stuck around for the second encore, they were treated to "No Myth," but I really got the sense that the crowd didn't care if that was even played.  A nice evening...check him out if you can.

eltee

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »
Thanks for the review. I ended up not being able to make the show. Were you able to see AM perform too?

hijinksandsue

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:02:00 pm »
SO bummed we could not go to either show but apparently both clubs are strict on their 21+ rule and my D would kill me if I went without her (I am ... well, daughter-whipped, I guess) ...

DCWizard, it certainly looks like we have similar tastes in music ... (does being a Michael Penn fan automatically make you an Aimee fan as well?)

Did he play "Brave New World"? I have to assume that made it onto the "Greatest Hit" CD ...