Author Topic: Alice in Chains roll call  (Read 2174 times)

xcanuck

Alice in Chains roll call
« on: October 25, 2006, 08:59:00 am »
So who's going to help out Jerry and the boys' blatant cash grab? I went to the Ram's Head show last night and, as cash grabs go, it was pretty enjoyable.

The band is definitely a VH1 Classics contender now. They ceased to be relevent several years ago and even Cantrell's solo efforts can't approach what AiC was. But last night's show was a pleasant trip down memory lane.

The band played a set of about 6-8 songs, then took a short break as a "tribute video" to Layne was shown (tacky, tacky, tacky). They came back and did a four song "unplugged" set which was alot more enjoyable than it sounds (Don't Follow, No Excuses, Brother, and Got Me Wrong). They plugged in for about another 3-4 songs before the inevitable encore (Rooster and Would, of course).

Despite the drunken morons, horrible sound and atrocious sightlines, we had a good time. It was just a warmup for tonight's show.

Oh, and how did they sound without Layne? William Duvall (ex of Comes With The Fall, a long time touring partner of Cantrell) filled in admirably. Several times you could close your eyes and not realize it wasn't Layne. He's also a better guitar player than Layne. And he's not decomposing on the couch.

Re: Alice in Chains roll call
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 09:07:00 am »
Lane Staley is still dead.

That show sounds like a true nightmare.

xcanuck

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 09:17:00 am »
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:

Who is Lane Staley?

The show was what it was. You have to take it all with a grain of salt. Sometimes nostalgia has it's moments. Any other cliches I can throw out there?

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 09:26:00 am »
"take one for the team"
 "they blew me away"
 "i go to birchmere for the food"

Originally posted by xcanuck:

Who is Lane Staley?

The show was what it was. You have to take it all with a grain of salt. Sometimes nostalgia has it's moments. Any other cliches I can throw out there? [/b]

xcanuck

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 09:33:00 am »
  "take one for the team"
 "they blew me away"
 "i go to birchmere for the food"

Ben's Chili Bowl!

helicon1

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 09:48:00 am »
I will be there. I saw the "New Doors" at Red Rocks a few years back and Ian Astbury did a great job impersonating Jim Morrison. It wasn't the same and you knew that, but it was still fun. I expect the same tonight.

set1914

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 09:49:00 am »
Take it for what it and enjoy the music, which is what I am going to do. If not, then do not go to show such at this.