Author Topic: Rosebuds roll call  (Read 8295 times)

Bags

Rosebuds roll call
« on: July 12, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
The Rosebuds are at Black Cat backstage tomorrow (Tuesday).  I'm there; show probably starts 9:30, with Rosebuds on by 10:30.  Note below, they'll be back at Iota in August.

08.02 * Arlington, VA @ Iota w/ Camera Obscura  
 07.13 * The Rosebuds, Alcian Blue $7 doors 9:00

The Rosebuds are a hook-laden, energetic indie group from North Carolina plucked right out of Merge's backyard. Their debut long-player, The Rosebuds Make Out, is a strong and memorable record that sounds fresh on repeated listens. The disc is split between up-tempo rockers and weepy ballads. The rockers are what reach out and grab you on initial listens. Tracks like the goofy "My Downtown Friends," "What Can I Do?," and the buoyant "Kicks in the Schoolyard" are pop songs with sharp-as-roses hooks. Ivan Howard has a perfect rock voice, elastic and sharp, able to carry the tunes easily and with verve. For the most part the instrumentation on the record is spare, with guitars leading the way, but the occasional use of big, clunky, unironic synths make ballads like "Wishes for Kisses" and "Back to Boston" sound like a cross between the Cure and the Anniversary. Which is not a sound too many bands have these days. You can also hear bits of the Pixies, Yo La Tengo, and an old-school Merge band, Spent, in there too; all bands that combine energy with melody and end up right square in classic indie rockville. The only track that lets the side down a bit is the last track on the record, the overly long and repetitive "Make Out Song." Despite that minor hiccup, Merge has really picked a winner here; The Rosebuds Make Out is a sweet smelling bunch of songs by a very promising new band. â?? Tim Sendra [All Music Guide]

================================

Alcian Blue is a psychedelic, shoegazer band from Washington DC.  The group has played with the current line up of Sam Chintha, Jacob Reid, Clark Stacy and Matt Welch since the summer of 1999.  Following a 4-track demo and a string of shows, the band began to work on an ongoing recording project in the spring of 2000. The culmination of these sessions was released in late 2001 as Slow Colorless Stare on the band's own Safranin Records.  Alcian Blue's sound is derived from a mix of artists such as My Bloody Valentine, The Cocteau Twins, Sonic Youth, Aphex Twin, Steve Reich, and Brian Eno.  

[From Splendid e-zine]:  With My Bloody Valentine now long gone and with Sonic Youth sounding a bit too tempered and careful on Murray Street, Alcian Blue fill a badly-needed niche for lovers of pure, unfiltered guitar noise and long, drug-induced jams. Like many shoegazer bands, Alcian Blue's guitar-based music runs thick and syrupy, oozing without pause for entire song stretches, obscuring the minimal vocals. However, the influence of Sonic Youth cannot be escaped. Beyond the mere fact that these guys love to scrape their guitar strings, make chiming sounds and let their guitars wail with delicately pulsating feedback figures, Alcian Blue regularly calls upon the melodic phrasing and even the beats of the Youths. And yet, in mixing their influences, Alcian Blue have created quite a few textures of their own. From the disc's quieter moments, like the opening of "Opaque", to more jarring cuts like "Faded Song", the band proves that they're more than just a second-rate stoner act. Ultimately, however, while Alcian Blue is pretty good at what they do, they offer little or nothing to attract listeners who aren't already into their basic sound.

ratioci nation

Re: Rosebuds roll call
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:

good to hear, I think I will stick to that one since I was already thinking about going for Camera Obscura

Venerable Bede

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 11:23:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:

Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:

good to hear, I think I will stick to that one since I was already thinking about going for Camera Obscura [/b]
yeah, i'm looking at going to this show too.
OU812

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 05:13:00 pm »
I'm definitely going tomorrow. I may try to make the Camera Obscura show as well.

Medusa

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 09:27:00 pm »
I will be there!  And I can't wait!  :)

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Jaguär

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 11:21:00 pm »
I will definitely be there with a very nice group of friends.    :D

snailhook

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 02:14:00 am »
count me in. looking forward to seeing the rosebuds, and it's been a while since i saw alcian blue.

Bags

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 12:24:00 am »
As I said right after the show, I LOVE a sweaty show!   It was great, the Rosebuds have gotten much tighter since their show with Metropolitan at Warehouse.  I think Iota will be a great time, even though it's Monday....Great to see a lot of boardies, meet Snailhook, see Jaguar in our neck of the woods and Doom back from NYC.  I hope he still likes DC!  And of course Kurosawa, Friend of Guy and Medusa -- woo hoo!  They all enjoyed Alcian Blue while I had beer out in the Red Room with some buds....

Medusa

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 01:02:00 am »
Good seeing everyone too!  :)   I had a marvelous time at the show - I admit to liking Alcian Blue best (if I had to compare) - The Rosebuds were good live though and I enjoyed their set, albeit their slower songs best, however.

It was definitely a gig I found myself enjoying overall - I'm not too keen on concerts these days, but this one restored my faith!  :)

P.S.  We will be doing a CD giveaway of the new Alcian Blue single (the one with their Slowdive cover on it) at ATMOSPHERE this Sunday night!  Yes, I just managed to set this up and I am thrilled - more on this later in the week, when I do my ATMOSPHERE post.  :)

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 09:45:00 am »
Originally posted by Medusa:
  P.S.  We will be doing a CD giveaway of the new Alcian Blue single (the one with their Slowdive cover on it) at ATMOSPHERE this Sunday night!  Yes, I just managed to set this up and I am thrilled - more on this later in the week, when I do my ATMOSPHERE post.   :)  

what slowdive song do they do??
OU812

Medusa

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 10:47:00 am »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 what slowdive song do they do??
"Joy."  I loved it live, too!

It's puzzling though, because upon looking around, it seems that Slowdive never recorded this song - I just found that they performed it live back in 1992 and it appeared on a bootleg (Cabaret Metro, Chicago, U.S. with Ride May 8th, 1992).

Perhaps since then they performed it live, but the origin of this song is mysterious!  Does anyone here know anything else about "Joy"?

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

BookerT

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 11:27:00 am »
excellent show last nite. the rosebuds are about as nifty as can be for a guitar/keys/drums combo. catchy, concise songs, good energy, genuinely likeable. and alcian blue was really good too, they just need to turn their guitars up a little. seriously tho, i'll be feeling the effects of that volume for a week. that last song of their set was pretty killer.

Jaguär

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 04:45:00 pm »
Had a good time last night.

Great to see so many friends together in one small room.

Happy to see both bands but like Medusa, I prefered Alcian Blue so much more than The Rosebuds. Looking forward to AB's next show.

snailhook

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 05:46:00 pm »
yes, it was a solid show. i saw about 15 to 20 minutes of alcian blue and thought they were great, especially the set closer. the sound was a bit muddied, but i didn't expect anything more from the combination of AB's MBV-inspired wash of sound combined with the always-sketchy backstage sound.

the rosebuds were pleasant, and i liked their slower, ballady songs much better than the garagy ones, which they need to work on if they want them to have more impact. i also thought they could use a bass or another guitar, another instrument to flesh out the sound. i'd see them again, but i wouldn't go out of my way to do so. i'll probably catch them with camera obscura at the iota.