Author Topic: The Heavy Metal Years  (Read 1761 times)

Bags

The Heavy Metal Years
« on: July 07, 2003, 12:02:00 am »
This is on IFC right now -- what a great movie.  Completely different from the original "Decline of Western Civilization" flick, but wonderful in its own way.  I saw the Punk Years at a tiny art house in Tampa when I was a teenager.  Very cool; I could only get one friend to go with me.

My favorite line so far, this Dave Mustane wannabe saying, "It's pretty much a rule girls don't get into the house unless they have a sack of groceries with them."

And there's Ozzie without the shakes cooking!

thirsty moore

Re: The Heavy Metal Years
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 10:08:00 am »
Yes, the metal years is amusing.  I like the interviews where the band members are asked if they actually think they're going to make it.  The scene with WASP's singer in the pool and his mom on the deck is somewhat depressing, though.

Bags

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 10:13:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Yes, the metal years is amusing.  I like the interviews where the band members are asked if they actually think they're going to make it.  The scene with WASP's singer in the pool and his mom on the deck is somewhat depressing, though.
Ugh, it's so awful.  Is that guy still alive?  That was one of the odd parts of the Punk Years --they interviewed Darby Crash of the Germs who was dead quite soon after the movie was released (or even before??).  Can't help thinking the same thing is going to happen to the WASP guy...

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 10:29:00 am »
Was it Blackie Lawless?  I don't know if he's still around.  Perhaps they'll play Jaxx sometime soon.  Ozzy without the shakes is intelligible.  The Punk Years was far more interesting to me as I actually like those bands.  The soundtrack is great as well.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 12:40:00 pm »
Actually it was Chris Holmes the guitarist and I think it came out later that the whole thing was staged.
 Hunter

thirsty moore

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 01:00:00 pm »
Are you kidding me?  Man, that's even more sad.  Or maybe it's hilarious.  I'll think about that today.