Author Topic: Soul Asylum  (Read 2230 times)

Disaffection

• http://www.mp3.com/disaffection
Soul Asylum
« on: July 10, 2003, 09:52:00 am »
August 2nd @ Live on Penn - Wyclef Jean and Soul Asylum, according to Pollstar... Hopefully more people will show up than the 50 or so who watched Dave Pirner solo last summer at 930.

Re: Soul Asylum
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 09:58:00 am »
All of the cool cats will be at the Black Cat for the early Rhett Miller show.

paige

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 10:00:00 am »
i'll most likely be at A perfect circle. men named maynard are just badass.

keithstg

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 10:04:00 am »
50 people at that Pirner show is an overstatement.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 10:15:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  All of the cool cats will be at the Black Cat for the early Rhett Miller show.
haha. thats pretty funny!  is this a night time show w/ Soul Asylum or its during the day?  I would like to see Soul Asylum and APC.  maybe Pirner will stop by 930 and sing with Maynard, haha.

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 10:21:00 am »
I'm with Paige on this one.  If I'm still in town, I'm not missing A Perfect Circle.
27>34

Disaffection

• http://www.mp3.com/disaffection
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 11:01:00 am »
Yeah it definitely might be.  Everyone left after The Lost Trailers went on.  I felt really bad for Pirner and his band; he deserves more respect.  Soul Asylum got a pretty good reception at the Chili Cookoff last year, but I definitely felt like I heard a lot of the younger kids saying stuff like "Who are these guys?"  I don't know - I might be on the younger end of the Soul Asylum fans, but I remember them (along with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day, and STP) as the classic bands that got me and all my friends into music in elementary school.  I definitely have a lucid memory of analyzing what "Black Gold" was about with my friends on the playground in 5th grade.  Plus I still always put on Candy From a Stranger whenever I'm feeling down.  It's kinda depressing but in an uplifting sort of way.  Alright, I'm just rambling - hopefully people will come out on August 2nd.  I'd easily pay 3 bucks just to hear only "Somebody to Shove", "Black Gold", "Runaway Train", and "Misery."  If the Chili Cookoff is an indication, they'll play all of them.

Originally posted by keithstg:
  50 people at that Pirner show is an overstatement.

paige

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 11:03:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I'm with Paige on this one.  If I'm still in town, I'm not missing A Perfect Circle.
should we make it a date? only kidding, smackie... i know you can't handle me  ;)

keithstg

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 11:35:00 am »
Originally posted by Disaffection:
 [QB] Yeah it definitely might be.  Everyone left after The Lost Trailers went on.  I felt really bad for Pirner and his band; he deserves more respect.  Soul Asylum got a pretty good reception at the Chili Cookoff last year, but I definitely felt like I heard a lot of the younger kids saying stuff like "Who are these guys?"  I don't know - I might be on the younger end of the Soul Asylum fans, but I remember them (along with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day, and STP) as the classic bands that got me and all my friends into music in elementary school.  I definitely have a lucid memory of analyzing what "Black Gold" was about with my friends on the playground in 5th grade.  Plus I still always put on Candy From a Stranger whenever I'm feeling down.  It's kinda depressing but in an uplifting sort of way.  Alright, I'm just rambling - hopefully people will come out on August 2nd.  I'd easily pay 3 bucks just to hear only "Somebody to Shove", "Black Gold", "Runaway Train", and "Misery."  If the Chili Cookoff is an indication, they'll play all of them.

If you pull the plug on the opening band mid-set, you deserve a shite crowd like he had. I enjoy SA's music, but not the new, VH1-esque solo album.

earplugsrequired

• http://www.earplugsrequired.com
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 02:44:00 pm »
I for one will be seeing Soul Asylum. While I like A Perfect Circle I would much rather go and hang out seeing Soul Asylum. Seeing Soul Asylum to me is like seeing old friends. It's a show where you know all the music - even the newer songs that haven't been released and it's just family. Unfortunately it's an outside show so you have to deal with all that crap that goes along with it but that's ok. It can't be as bad a when I saw them on college campuses in the past - or can it?

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 03:00:00 pm »
Do you think Dave Pirner made enough cash to buy a new pair of jeans, or does he still wear the jeans with holes in the knees?