Author Topic: Dandy Warhols at 9:30 club  (Read 4379 times)

ggw

Re: Dandy Warhols at 9:30 club
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2003, 04:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Wow, was going to see them at Fletchers when they cancelled there.  Saw them open for Love and Rockets at the 9:30, when the Heroin song of theirs was big, did a good set.

Anyone hear the rumored reason why they cancelled?  Surgury or something...
When was it?

Last time they played DC they stopped the show after about 80-85 minutes and skipped the encore because the drummer had just had some kidney stones (gall stones?) removed.

Bags

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2003, 06:37:00 pm »
Okay, there are seven streaming songs available from the Dandy's website:  http://www.dandywarhols.com/sounds.htm

The first one sounds like it's from the "Pretty in Pink" soundtrack!!

Two from the first album, and five from the urban bohemia album.  So this should give you a good idea.

Bless the streaming video -- I bought Idlewild 'cuz I could basically preview their sound from their website.

walkman

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2003, 10:57:00 pm »
You know, 'tis a funny thing...I have a copy of the new album, and although the first listen was very disappointing, it's grown on me to the point where I feel that it complements 13 Tales perfectly.  Honestly, one band that can do psych freak-outs, faux brit-pop and disco-punk?  It's like a party in my pants.

lily1

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 11:43:00 pm »
walkly dear, you certainly have an interesting party going on in your pants there, then, eh?

okay, so you know that you and i don't always agree on music (cough cough parker and lily cough cough) but the band is a combo of all 3 of those sounds?

G.Love

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2003, 08:28:00 am »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Saw them open for Love and Rockets at the 9:30, when the Heroin song of theirs was big, did a good set.
During that tour they were refered to as the RANDY Warhols by L&R because at one of the shows the Dandies came out topless (including Zia - which is nothing new) during Ying and Yang the Flowerpot man; unfortunately not the 9:30 show.

Sir HC

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2003, 09:50:00 am »
I had heard the Kidney stones story, then another band came to another club right after the fact claiming it was a hemmoroid operation.

walkman

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2003, 01:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by lily1:
  walkly dear, you certainly have an interesting party going on in your pants there, then, eh?

okay, so you know that you and i don't always agree on music (cough cough parker and lily cough cough) but the band is a combo of all 3 of those sounds?
It's more like each of their last three albums has incorporated elements of many different sounds. "Come Down" is the most shoegazey, "13 Tales" is the best (being the closest thing to a combination of all their many influences) and the new album "Welcome to the Monkey House" is sort of disco dance-punk.  But together, in concert, they make it all work out.

P.S.  The new record was produced by Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran, so if you have a hankerin' for some new-new wave, it might not be a bad place to start.

Bags

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2003, 01:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkman:

Originally posted by lily1:
 [qb] It's more like each of their last three albums has incorporated elements of many different sounds. "Come Down" is the most shoegazey, "13 Tales" is the best (being the closest thing to a combination of all their many influences) and the new album "Welcome to the Monkey House" is sort of disco dance-punk.  But together, in concert, they make it all work out.

P.S.  The new record was produced by Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran, so if you have a hankerin' for some new-new wave, it might not be a bad place to start. [/b]
I haven't listened to the full album, but the second, 13 Tales, seems the most accessible.  The two songs I've heard from the new album are throwing me for a loop....  I'm wondering if the thing to do is go to the show and test them out there!