Author Topic: Arkansas Chrome...  (Read 1086 times)

vansmack

Arkansas Chrome...
« on: September 27, 2004, 06:40:00 pm »
I caught the Supersuckers last week and they suggested that I not miss  Jesse Dayton out of Texas on Saturday night.  

Following that advice, I had the distinct pleasure of catching Jesse Dayton and he was amazing.  He's a country singer who's more cowboy punk than pop cowboy (or more Johnny Cash than Garth Brooks).  Anyhow, he was brilliant, sraight forward guitar and engaging through 2 and a half hour set with no breaks other than to tell a story or two.

Fans of Eddie Spaghetti, the Supersuckers, Mike Ness, Drive-by-Truckers,  Steve Earle, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings etc. would all enjoy him.  I recommned the live album he recorded in Vegas.  I haven't given his new album a thorough listen, but the cover of the Cars "Just what I needed" is brilliant, though much better live.

In addition, I learned a new phrase - "Arkansas Chrome."  I had never heard that before, but apparently, Eddie and Jesse were at a rest stop on tour and Jesse wanted to buy some truck flaps, when a trucker came in and said that his back windshield was blown out by his old lady and he needed some duct tape to fix it. The attendant looked at him and said, 'All the arkansas chrome is in back of the store.'  So he gave Eddie the money for the flaps and went back to the bus to write "Arkansas Chrome."  How great is that?

Almost as good as this in his liner notes: Jesse proudly plays and endorses Elixir Strings and drinks Jim Beam.  Exclusively.
27>34