Author Topic: Halford rejoins Judas Priest  (Read 3044 times)

Metal Meltdown

Halford rejoins Judas Priest
« on: July 11, 2003, 11:20:00 am »
new album and tour in 2004 as confirmed by CNN and Rob's managment

as you can tell by my handle, I am about to crap myself over this news

BREAKIN THE LAW!!! BREAKIN THE LAW!! \m/

thirsty moore

Re: Halford rejoins Judas Priest
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 11:22:00 am »
Was this reported by my main man Wolf Blitzer?  Or Christiane Amanpour?

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 11:24:00 am »
Do y'all think Halford is a top or a bottom?

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 11:27:00 am »
And what will become of my main man, Ripper Owens?

Metal Meltdown

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 11:29:00 am »
ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Legendary heavy metal vocalist Rob Halford has reunited with Judas Priest, the singer told CNN Friday, speaking by phone from his Birmingham, England, home.

The band, one of heavy metal's most popular groups and a leader in the late-'70s wave of British metal bands, plans to release a full-length studio album in the spring of 2004. Judas Priest will also embark on a global concert tour, the band's first with Halford in more than a decade, the group's management team said.

"Rob Halford, along with band members K.K. Downing, Glenn Tipton and Ian Hill felt a heightened level of intensity," a member of the management team told CNN, speaking of recent meetings with the four. "Rob said they were all very excited and they have re-established their friendship. These guys grew up together from their early 20s on, so this means a lot to them personally and professionally."

Tipton also told CNN the band has reunited.

Judas Priest is best known for its songs "Breaking the Law" and "You've Got Another Thing Comin' " and the albums "Screaming for Vengeance" and "Defenders of the Faith."

Ahead of the band's first studio release since 1990's "Painkiller," Sony Music plans to release a two-DVD set with all the band's music videos and a DVD version of "Priest ... Live!" filmed in Dallas, Texas, during the 1986 Turbo Tour.

Work on the new album is scheduled to begin in October.

The original band members have been re-establishing their personal and professional relationships since 1999, along the way sparking reunion rumors.

"Rob and the other Judas Priest members are so happy this is all a go," the management team member said. "We've worked so hard over the last four years to make this happen."

Judas Priest formed in the gritty, working-class city of Birmingham in 1970. By the late '70s, they were one of the biggest bands in Britain, and had great success in the United States in the 1980s.

Downing is the group's lead guitarist, Travis the drummer and Tipton the bassist. Halford left the band in the early '90s in a bitter split. He recorded four studio albums and released a live album without Judas Priest.

The band has continued to perform as Judas Priest, with Ripper Owens' vocals, since Halford's departure. The 2001 movie "Rock Star" was partly based on Owens' experience as a fan and leader of a Priest tribute band who later joined his heroes.

Metal Meltdown

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 11:30:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  And what will become of my main man, Ripper Owens?
back to a Priest cover band where he belongs, Jugulator and especially Demolition were god awful cd's....

vansmack

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2003, 01:07:00 pm »
The best part fo that article - not one mention of Halford being gay.  It's great to see that sexual preference is no longer newsworthy.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 01:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  The best part fo that article - not one mention of Halford being gay.  It's great to see that sexual preference is no longer newsworthy.
It's true.  I'm happily surprised.  Bet the Washington Times would cover it differently.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2003, 01:33:00 pm »
Did his sexual preference have anything do to with his initial falling out with the band? If it did, then his sexual preference is part of the story.

Metal Meltdown

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 02:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Did his sexual preference have anything do to with his initial falling out with the band? If it did, then his sexual preference is part of the story.
No..it had to do with him recording an album with his sideband "Fight". The band felt he was dedicating too much time to it and never heard from him. So they stopped talking and then the shit starting flying in the press between the two sides in interviews...which produced hard feelings and a permanent split..

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2003, 02:29:00 pm »
Wondering if any of this was the reason why Halford cancelled his tour last month. I was looking forward to seeing him...

ggw

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 03:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by JoyMonster:
  Wondering if any of this was the reason why Halford cancelled his tour last month. I was looking forward to seeing him...
Supposedly there was some sort of chicanery with the finances and someone in promotion that made the Metal Gods tour financially impossible to pull off.

VIOLENTMOODSWINGS

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2003, 11:57:00 pm »
dear god that is the coolest thing i have heard in ages.

evilizac

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2003, 01:33:00 am »
Fuck yeah, just Fuck yeah!!!
 Anyone else hellbent for leather...?
WHAT?

sonickteam2

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2003, 09:02:00 am »
the thought of a new Judas Priest album makes me sick!! i just had to say that!  and i thought the Beastie Boys were overstaying their welcome!