Author Topic: Jay Farrar Roll Call  (Read 1366 times)

jadetree

Jay Farrar Roll Call
« on: July 11, 2003, 11:26:00 am »
Anybody?  Anybody?

The following review of the Bowery Ballroom show from Farrar's message board reveals some of the setlist, other messages say he is playing some material off of Son Volt's Wide Swing Tremolo album but not much Uncle Tupelo.  But it looks like he is playing all my favorite Son Volt songs.  

FROM MESSAGE BOARD -
 I just got back from the show at the Bowery, and it was my first show seeing Jay in any capacity. I was very impressed...and those last couple of posts were pretty much on the money

Jay is real quiet on stage, but he thanked the crowd on severla occasions. The extent of his dialogue was in the beginning when a string broke on his guitar and he said it "was going to be one of those nights"

1 UT song and it was "Still Be Around"
 From SV he played "Windfall" and "Tear Stained Eye", maybe others I am not familiar with
 "Sebastopol" was very well represented, at least five tunes, including "Voodoo Candle", "Damn Shame", "Feel Free", "Barstow"
 Encore was "The Inner Light" a G. Harrison Beatles tune

Mark Spencer totally kicks ass on the guitar as well as Jud Ehrbar on the drums. Anders Parker plays bass. Some tunes Jud and Anders weren't even on stage for, but no mattre what combination of musicians were on stage, it worked.

If you haven't been to the Bowery to see a show I highly recommend it, it's a good time

Re: Jay Farrar Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 12:08:00 pm »
So how was the legend? The Post wrote it off as less than brilliant, but then the reviewer actually though Uncle Tupelo was a "mid-80s" band...so what does he know?

jadetree

Re: Jay Farrar Roll Call
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 01:29:00 pm »
It was less than stellar, I enjoyed his show at the Birchmere in 2001 much more, same problem I had with the Jayhawks show, the Birchmere show sounded much better.