Author Topic: BigYawn/Bigger Lovers Roll Call...  (Read 8885 times)

Bags

Re: BigYawn/Bigger Lovers Roll Call...
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2004, 10:25:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:
  Oy, very very good.  Yup, it was a good birthday.  
good enough to call my girlfriend by someone elses name!!!!
        :roll:   [/b]
Yup, I did that, though I don't know what the high level of stress was over -- I got two names confused.  Actually, even more, as everyone on the board has TWO names.  My fault, and I'm sorry sonick.  From now on I just say, "hey you..."  I called Thirsty by Sonick's name once...can't believe it hasn't happened more.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2004, 10:46:00 am »
It's been awile since seeing the Bigger Lovers live, they barely toured when the second CD came out, so i t was real treat to see them in action again.

the drummer remains the bands secret weapon, being able to power the band when need be and lay back for the slower stuff.  my fav Bigger Lover CD still remains the first and they played a couple tracks of that which made me happy.  The new one is growing one me and the second was too laid back for me.  

the band has most excellent tastes in covers... Wreckless Eric, The Pretty Things and the Soft Boys.  The last being appropriate since I often described their first cd as Robyn Hitchcock backed by Keith Moon.

The Frauds started and ended strong IMHO...  Their up tempo stuff is catchy fun to listen to, and "The Church of Seduction & The Republic of Business" has hit single written all over it.  The bass player even admitted to says its the bands "radio song".  Not a real fan of the slacker stuff, it's a bit painful to listen to.  The first show I saw them was better because it was a shorter set with less of the songs that don't float my boat.  With a good manager and producer on board to focus the band they go farther then Baltimore.
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2004, 12:01:00 pm »
Bags, or someone, can you post the review on The Bigger Lovers' cd from The Washington Post here? Thanks. BigYawn tells me to lie on the sign-up form for the online Post, but that takes way to long as errors occur when doing so.

Bags

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2004, 01:09:00 pm »
THE BIGGER LOVERS "This Affair Never Happened . . . and Here Are Eleven Songs About It" Yep Roc

Friday, May 14, 2004; Page WE07

THE BIGGER LOVERS "This Affair Never Happened . . . and Here Are Eleven Songs About It"Yep Roc

Three years ago, the Bigger Lovers debuted with an album that paid sly homage to the Everly Brothers, the forefathers of pop-rock harmonizing. On the group's latest release, "This Affair Never Happened . . . and Here Are Eleven Songs About It," the Philadelphia quartet covers a tune by the Only Ones, a British punk-era band that didn't follow the lead of the Pistols or the Clash. Maybe the album's rendition of the Ones' wittily fatalistic "You've Got to Pay" doesn't mark a major shift, but the Lovers do sound more like fighters this time.

Songwriters Bret Tobias and Scott Jefferson haven't forsaken melody, and such numbers as "Slice of Life" feature effervescent harmonies. That affair must have been brutal, though. From the cover's photo of a praying mantis -- notorious for its lethal mating habits -- to the snarling resignation of "Blowtorch," the Lovers are bristling. "Put a flower on my tombstone / Have a chuckle when I'm gone," commands the latter song. Yet the slower tempos that characterize many of the songs don't make them funeral marches. "This Affair" may be a little short on joy, but it's full of life.

-- Mark Jenkins

Appearing Friday at DC9. â?¢ To hear a free Sound Bite from the Bigger Lovers, call Post-Haste at 301-313-2200 and press 8102. (Prince William residents, call 703-690-4110.)

Fico

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2004, 01:34:00 pm »
Great night... congrats to BigYawn and the skipper who stirs the ship!

eltee

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2004, 01:45:00 pm »
Thanks for the post Bags.