Author Topic: The Rapture  (Read 3906 times)

Relaxer

The Rapture
« on: February 07, 2003, 03:06:00 pm »
Anyone going to the show at Black Cat tonight? I'm really looking forward to it, and am hoping it's one of those shows that I can brag about being at in a year when they've become huge.
oword

paige

Re: The Rapture
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 05:03:00 pm »
oh, rapture.

Celeste

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 05:12:00 pm »
phew--just a post about a band! for a second I was afraid those Christians were back on the board...

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 05:48:00 pm »
I will be there! I've been wanting to see Black Eyes again. The Rapture isn't my favorite NY punk funk band (Liars or Radio 4 are better) but I still find them really entertaining. Everyone needs some good dance tunes now and then.

Captain Jack

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 07:45:00 pm »
wait, Rapture is funky? I always thought they were "JapaNoise". black eyes are fine though.

paige

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 07:59:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Jack:<BR><B>wait, Rapture is funky? I always thought they were "JapaNoise". black eyes are fine though. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>black eyes lead singer. hot.<BR>black eyes music. weird but awesome.<BR>

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 12:02:00 pm »
Yeah, seeing them again, I realized they aren't in the punk funk group. They are just dance music. My previous thoughts about them were confirmed. Fun music but not as good as some of the other NY bands I've been listening to. I thought Black Eyes were the better band. The singer's energy is so infectious!<BR>I missed Et At It because of the surprisingly long line to get in. How were they?

Relaxer

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 04:49:00 pm »
Really liked Black Eyes. The drum sound was fantastic, and they put on a great show.<P>Really didn't like Rapture. They seemed like goofballs and the songs seemed weak. They strike me as a band who will have one of their songs picked up as the theme to a lame sitcom or in a commercial. They'll have a little fame (a la The Rembrandts or Remy Zero) and then they'll fade into the woodwork.
oword

megs

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 05:55:00 pm »
They'll have a little fame (a la The Rembrandts or Remy Zero) and then they'll fade into the woodwork. [/B][/QUOTE]<P><BR>i know this is a silly side point, but please o please don't put remy zero in the same category as the rembrandts!!!!!!! i adore remy zero, and they are amazingly talented, and their songs do not open must-see-tv (though i do admit one of their songs is the opening music for smallville...) but they should definitely not be categorized with the rembrandts. remy = fabulous.

walkman

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2003, 03:27:00 pm »
Great show.  Black Eyes get better each time I see them.  The album is finished and should be out on Dischord in the spring.  You can check <A HREF="http://www.ruffianrecords.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ruffianrecords.com[/url]  for info.  I was also impressed by The Rapture...the new stuff sounds really good.

BookerT

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2003, 05:40:00 pm »
the first four or so songs of the rapture's set were so utterly horrible that it ruined the rest of the show. i felt like i was at a rave. a bad one. as if that needs to be said. "house of jealous lovers" and "out of the races" are terrific songs, but it's really hit and miss with them. covering "louie louie" was a mistake because it made you realize that that song was about 80 times better than anything else. covering "rock and roll, part 2" was a mistake because it made them look like dorks. saw them on the backstage some time last year and it was loads better. doesn't give me much hope for their upcoming, "breakthrough" record.<P>black eyes weren't bad. i'm not into the whole spastic energy thing, seems a little contrived, but they had a pretty good sound. the kids seemed to love 'em, too, so right on. but there are too many bands with black in their name nowadays.