Author Topic: Dear DC venues that aren't the 930 club  (Read 4400 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Dear DC venues that aren't the 930 club
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 11:07:00 pm »
why do people need to have every little detail spelled out for them?  You know when the club opens, just mosey on down there to get there a little while after the doors open.  Maybe you'll have a few quiet moments with a drink before the band starts, or maybe you'll miss a song or two.  It's all good.  You guys would've never survived in the heyday of punk!
_\|/_

Chip Chanko

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 12:43:00 am »
I think that if clubs started posting exact times for bands and stuck by those times then people would show up on time for the bands they want to see. The fact that the BC, DC9, etc don't post band times (and most clubs don't) means that people will show up later and thus bands will play later and thus walkonby will post something stream-of-consciousness even though he has nothing to do with this thread so far.

of course...a band needs to have a draw in the first place to get people to show up when it's supposed to play...

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 12:52:00 am »
Well also the spirit of independent music is supposed to be an oppenness to new things.  You show up, the schedule's messed up, you see something you didn't expect to see.  9 times out of 10, you may see something that sucks, and that 1 time out of 10, you may catch a gem you might have never heard of otherwise.  For the 9 times out of 10, you just go to the bar and sit out the set, or play some pool, or walk down the street for a gyro and come back later.   Seriously, if you can't deal with these little inconsistencies and recognize them for the gifts they are, you should only be listening to classic rock and going to events sponsored by Bud Lite.  Those'll usually start on time.
_\|/_

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
BEN'S CHILI BOWL

LRHippo

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 08:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Yutaka Fukufuji, Japanese Goalie:
  Where did you find that on their website?

From http://www.blackcatdc.com/rooms.html
 Doors open for Mainstage shows at 8:30 on weekdays and 9:30 on weekends. The opening band starts 1/2 hour later.

If you go to enough shows you'll know openers usually get about 30mins, second act (if three) gets about 35-45 and the main act gets about 60-90.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2005, 05:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  the world of independent/underground touring/booking is a lot like spinal tap and is incredibly unpredictable. at larger venues, things are run much more smoothly.
so is the billing:

puppet show
 and
 hanson

?
(o|o)

Random Citizen

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2005, 07:48:00 pm »
Hehe...So if they go on at 10:33, do you get your money back?  :D

From the Black Cat's site:
 SAT OCT 15- THE FIERY FURNACES (10:30 sharp), THE CHILD BALLADS $15 mainstage 8:30

Captain Jack

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005, 05:37:00 pm »
I've never been to a Warehouse Next Door show that started on time, thus creating the cycle of everyone getting there later because they assume the show will start later, and then the show starts even later because no ones there and then blah blah blah.

I still like WND a lot. but mostly Bidwell.