Author Topic: Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em  (Read 1330 times)

shemptiness

Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em
« on: May 17, 2007, 05:42:00 pm »
Gov. Martin O'Malley signed into law today one of the most restrictive smoking bans in the nation, putting to rest four years of wrangling between public health advocates and restaurateurs who claimed the measure would hurt neighborhood mom-and-pop operations.

The law requires bars and restaurants to be smoke-free by Feb. 1, 2008, and the ban also extends to private clubs such as American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars halls. Some businesses eligible for financial hardship waivers from the state would get a three-year extension, but must be smoke-free by 2011. With the law signed, tobacco shops are virtually the only public indoor places where smoking will be allowed.

Maryland joined more than 20 states that have enacted similar bans. The state ban comes after five Maryland counties -- Charles, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George's and Talbot -- had already opted to go smoke-free. O'Malley backed the statewide effort after Baltimore City's decision to adopt a smoking ban this year.

The governor also signed measures to replace the state's voting machines by 2010 with machines that have a backup paper trial; allow for stiffer penalties for gang members who commit certain crimes; and prohibit parole for child sex offenders serving mandatory minimum sentences.

Supporters of various initiatives waited for half an hour in a cramped, sauna-like hallway leading to the room where the governor signed 164 bills, and a State House intern even succumbed to the heat, while others fanned themselves with the 52-page document outlining the measures the governor planned to sign into law.

Some supporters had to strain against a large door to hear the governor -- who made preliminary remarks behind closed doors -- laud the consensus that allowed the General Assembly to pass the bills.

"During this session, members of the General Assembly came together to find consensus in order to advance the common good, strengthen public safety and improve public health for Maryland families," O'Malley said in a statement. "Today, I am proud to sign legislation that will increase penalties for child sex offenders through Jessica's Law, toughen penalties for gang members, reform the Department of Juvenile Services, protect our firefighters from smoking-related fires, and protect our work force from second-hand smoke."

sonickteam2

Re: Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »
i think it would be cool if this ended up like prohibition where we could have cool illegal smoking clubs and stuff...but then i guess that wont happen til cigarettes themselves are illegal (and the law actually makes sense!)

at least my casual smoker friends will stop bumming from me at the bar!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 12:16:00 am »
Originally posted by le sonick:
 at least my casual smoker friends will stop bumming from me at the bar!
true dat - we'll be waiting for you outside on the sidewalk  :)
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:36:00 am »
It's going to be so difficult to have a beer at Friends and not smoke.  

I hope that's a smoking speakeasy.

lbcardoni

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 08:15:00 am »
Beers at Friends in one post, breakfast at The Blue Moon in another...Hang out on Aliceanna much?     ;)

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 09:03:00 am »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  It's going to be so difficult to have a beer at Friends and not smoke.  

I hope that's a smoking speakeasy.
dollars to doughnuts they'll be smoking at friends post-midnight anyway!  after enough trips to brooklyn since their ban, i'm not all that concerned about it.