Author Topic: Going to school for sound  (Read 3580 times)

sonickteam2

Going to school for sound
« on: April 05, 2006, 01:52:00 pm »
does anyone know anybody who went to a school like this?  A school for sound/recording engineers?   Has anyone heard of schools that have especially good reps?  

or any other info that one planning on going to a school like this can find handy?

thankie yankees!

Dr. Anton Phibes

Re: Going to school for sound
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 04:32:00 pm »
I went....a long time ago....

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 04:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jonas Grumby:
haha.

and?  anything to say?  i am torn between one of those 8 week programs or a 2 year school.

SPARX

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:52:00 pm »
Is the one you went to in Chillacothe(sp?) still open for business?

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 04:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mike Rohsopht:

haha.

and?  anything to say?  i am torn between one of those 8 week programs or a 2 year school. [/b]
I think it all depends....what is your level of knowledge right now?,how much do you want to fork out?,etc.It's kinda like the story Spike Lee mentioned about film school at NYU,and this is very true,"I was just there because they had all the cool equipment I could use for free". Same with sound. You just need to get your hands on some nice equipment and get some guidance on how to use it. Then you probably will start interning somewhere,which will give you LOADS of experience.
 If you're lucky you could also score a lower level job for pay and that would be even better. You'll do most of your learning "on the job",so the point of going 2 years is kinda beyond me...I think you could be just as successful doing the 5 or 8 week intensive like I did and then spreading your wings and landing an entry level or above full time gig with a pro outfit......just my 2 cents......

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 05:43:00 pm »
and it would be cheaper!

thanks  :)

anarchist

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 06:07:00 pm »
forget school.  do some hotel av or live sound reinforcement stagehand work and move your way up.   call rci sound in rockville or cpr in g'burg or nomad in springfield or esp in ss or any big hotel (ask for av).  tell them you have some experience,you  can set things up but cannot make them work, but want to learn. they do big jobs and always need people.  you might just load in/out and help with setup. but you will get paid and eventually you will learn. for lighting call atmophere in ss/wheaton.  good luck.

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »
I've been a guest lecturer  here so I would avoid it.  Anybody that thinks what I have to say is important is clearly delusional.
27>34

Sir HC

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 09:07:00 am »
I would be against the schooling.  Full Sail is the well known institution and among those I know in the business it is viewed as a joke.  Pretty much as said work your way up.  Ask at the local clubs if they need stage hands I know that is how a lot of the live sound guys in this area got their start, often stage handing, then doing sound at smaller venues (Sonomas, Brass Monkey, etc.) and then getting bigger gigs.  For studio work, similar path, a lot of gimp work is required.  Check with some of the local studios, Omega has short classes, so does some studio north of Baltimore whose name I forget, and some of the smaller places often look for interns and there you will do more than if you were to intern at some huge studio.

In the end though, the pay is not that great and the hours are long.

boweswana

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 09:14:00 am »
A friend of mine is finishing up the Omega program and really liked it.  He's pretty focused on doing  electronica stuff for commercial licensing though so it could be apples to oranges if you would have the same happy thoughts about it if you're looking to rawk out with rawkers for a living.

Guiny

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 09:36:00 am »
Maybe Scott Henry could help you out, you guys should be buds as many times as you've probably been to his shows, or whatever the raver's call shows.   ;)

sacriforce

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 10:00:00 am »
Full Sail
 Not very close, but it's top notch

Chromie

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 10:05:00 am »
If you have any equipment at home I would read up and practice on that until you feel you have reached you limit then go to a school so you are making the most of your money.

I know a person that went to Full Sail for multimedia stuff and they said it was a waist of money. Apparently they teach glitter and glam and not practical application.

I know a person that took recording classes at Omega and loved them. He said he learned a ton of geeky stuff, from real engineers, that he would have never known otherwise.

Ultimately like everyone else is saying experience and learning from other's in the industry is what is really going to pay off.

My personal side recommendation is the Golden Ears ear CD based training program. It whips your ears into shape really quick as far as identifying frequencies and such. If you can't hear then no other expertise matters.