Author Topic: too much hairspray??  (Read 2688 times)

sonickteam2

too much hairspray??
« on: February 21, 2003, 09:11:00 am »
Great White Concert Ends In Blaze.<P><RI>At least 39 people were killed and authorities expect the number to rise as they investigate a fire that engulfed a Rhode Island nightclub Thursday night, killing dozens and injuring more than 160.<P>The Station, in West Warwick, about 15 miles southwest of Providence, caught fire as a result of a pyrotechnic mishap during the first song by '80s metal band Great White, at about 11 p.m., according to the Associated Press. A spark or flame apparently ignited something in the ceiling and spread throughout the venue within minutes, leaving little more than one wall standing by the time firefighters extinguished the blaze a few hours later.<P>More than 160 people escaped and were taken to local medical centers, many with severe burns and others injured as a result of being trampled as they attempted to exit. Many of those dead were found near the front door, and dozens were still missing or unaccounted for in the early morning hours after the fire.<P>Moments after the ceiling caught fire, chaos ensued and people rushed to the exits. <P>Hundreds of firefighters and police, and dozens of EMS workers from neighboring areas as far as Massachusetts, rushed to the scene, and rescuers were pulling injured victims to a makeshift triage area set up across the street from the venue. <P>Great White singer Jack Russell told WJAR-TV that the band's use of pyrotechnics was approved by the club. An investigation looking into several factors, including whether the Station had a license to use fireworks, is underway. A fire official told CNN that a permit for pyrotechnics had been applied for, but not granted.

Sir HC

Re: too much hairspray??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 09:23:00 am »
Looking at the video, it looks like the pyro is right by the back wall.  Never a good thing.  This is a real tragedy.  It is scary to think that the whole place could go up in 3 minutes.

ggw

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 10:27:00 am »
Great White was scheduled to play Jaxx tonight.

myuman

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 10:35:00 am »
Heard that the club holds 300 and their weren't that many there.

Guiny

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 12:14:00 pm »
And there will be even less at the next show there.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 12:20:00 pm »
I read that the guitarist is among the missing.

paige

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2003, 01:42:00 pm »
even if it's a terribly horrible 80s band... that still is tragic. 3 minutes? wow. i hope that could never happen at 930

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2003, 01:52:00 pm »
I always look for the fire exit signs when I enter ANY club,including the 9:30. If the club does not have the exit signs lit or they have the exits blocked, I have and will report these violations to authorities.

Jagernaut

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2003, 02:00:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir HC:<BR><B>Looking at the video, it looks like the pyro is right by the back wall.  Never a good thing.  This is a real tragedy.  It is scary to think that the whole place could go up in 3 minutes.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Fire is no joke.  I was watching a Fire/Rescue training video awhile back about flashovers and they showed a Pine Christmas tree in a living room catch fire.  The entire room was blazing in only 30 seconds.  That night club must have been awful.