Author Topic: 40 Best Venues...according to PASTE  (Read 4679 times)

myuman

Re: 40 Best Venues...according to PASTE
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »
Maybe I was (or am) just plain stupid.  I'm from rural central PA... think amish, silos, etc.  Moved to fredneck a decade ago.  I've never thought twice about walking between the black cat and the club... night.. day.  The trip between the metro and the club via the gas station always seemed quite cozy to me.... so apparently I'm missing something.  On the other hand, a small rural bar that only serves genny and bud with guns and moose heads on the wall all the while patrons only wear orange, camo, nascar apparral or all the above and drive beat up old ford pick-ups can be a whole 'nother scary experience.  There are areas of my old stomping ground that I would not drive through with my maryland plates on.  I'm not kidding.

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »
Since when did the Amish start wearing nascar apparral (sic) and hang out in rural bars?

Originally posted by myuman:
  Maybe I was (or am) just plain stupid.  I'm from rural central PA... think amish, silos, etc.  Moved to fredneck a decade ago.  I've never thought twice about walking between the black cat and the club... night.. day.  The trip between the metro and the club via the gas station always seemed quite cozy to me.... so apparently I'm missing something.  On the other hand, a small rural bar that only serves genny and bud with guns and moose heads on the wall all the while patrons only wear orange, camo, nascar apparral or all the above and drive beat up old ford pick-ups can be a whole 'nother scary experience.  There are areas of my old stomping ground that I would not drive through with my maryland plates on.  I'm not kidding.

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 12:08:00 am »
Originally posted by ledooh:
  What is Paste magazine? Are they an authority on this kind of thing or are they wannabes?
I'm not sure about Paste but I was at the Pollstar awards when the 930 club won for best nightclub a few years ago. You can't get more official than pollstar.

http://www.pollstaronline.com/cic2004/pollstar-awards.htm
xoxo

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 09:16:00 am »
Originally posted by TheDirector217:

Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
  It's all relative. When I first arrived here I was told at work that there's an area we never drive through on a test drive because you might not make it back out. Of course curiosity got the better of me so I took a spin down one day.......it was about as dodgy as Tenley Town!!!
     ;)  
Oh....I'm down with Tenley Town bro'. Worked at the old Hechingers before it was a cvs. Drank at the Malt House and pool hall. That was my hooooood!

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 10:00:00 am »
I'M FROM RURAL CENTRAL PA!  Still am, actually.  I have no idea what you are talking about.  I wouldn't walk between the 9:30 club and The Black Cat in broad daylight.  And I'm 6'3", 260 lbs and played football.  Those places that serve Genny and Bud are fine.  Good, honest, hard-working people.  I don't think you can say that about the people who live in the area around the 9:30 club.

Brian

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 10:22:00 am »
Originally posted by Brian_Walalce:
 I'M FROM RURAL CENTRAL PA!  Still am, actually.  I have no idea what you are talking about.  I wouldn't walk between the 9:30 club and The Black Cat in broad daylight.  And I'm 6'3", 260 lbs and played football.  
 Brian
I'm 5'2" and figure skated, I would walk between the two in broad daylight.
xoxo

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 10:24:00 am »
Originally posted by quasimoto:
  i have never once felt unsafe in the area of the 930 club.
Everytime I go my stepdad is like "you should carry mace" and I'm like "Dude, I've never been mugged or even approached by someone I even FEEL threatended by." The worst is just random bums asking for money but that's about it.
‼‼?‼‼

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 10:38:00 am »

I'M FROM RURAL CENTRAL PA!  Still am, actually.  I have no idea what you are talking about.  I wouldn't walk between the 9:30 club and The Black Cat in broad daylight.  And I'm 6'3", 260 lbs and played football.  Those places that serve Genny and Bud are fine.  Good, honest, hard-working people.  I don't think you can say that about the people who live in the area around the 9:30 club.

Brian [/b]
uhh. you should grow a pair.

i grew up in rural west virginia, i'm a 5'9" chick, former dancer/sorority girl and have walked (and would continue to) between the two clubs at 10, 11 p.m.

i don't think i'm any tougher than any other girl but i'm fine going to either club alone and walking back to my car or whatever. hell, i've made the trek from the 930 over to the starbucks and ben's chili bowl and been fine.
nothx

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 10:46:00 am »
  I'M FROM RURAL CENTRAL PA!  Still am, actually.  I have no idea what you are talking about.  I wouldn't walk between the 9:30 club and The Black Cat in broad daylight.  And I'm 6'3", 260 lbs and played football.
i'm sorry, my sarcasm detector is in the shop this week - please confirm that you're being facetious.  either that, or the water in central PA causes males' balls to shrivel up.
<sig>

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 11:07:00 am »
I think your weight problem is more of a health risk than an occasional walk through the U District.

Brian [/QB][/QUOTE]

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 11:08:00 am »
Remember - perception becomes reality. If 6'2" 260lb football playing amish dude feels unsafe in the area, then that becomes 'his' reality. The truth is I don't think anyone is going to attack a 6'2" 260lb'er....horse and cart or not!  ;)  Down here there's sharks just off the beach so my perception is I'm going to get eaten if I venture into the ocean...the reality is I see tons of surfers out there every day so the true reality is it's there's a very small chance I'd get bitten, but you'll never convince me of that.

I don't think I've ever felt unsafe in any area of DC. What was that venue called in the middle of S.E.? I thought that was okay too.

IF you're not used to being in an urban environment then any city could be a bit threatening to some people...it's not a weakness, just a foriegn envioronment. Muggers etc are basically cowards so if you walk around scared then you're prey, if you walk around with an air of confidence then they won't come near you.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 11:44:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  I think your weight problem is more of a health risk than an occasional walk through the U District.

Despite my obvious girth I cut a VERY girlish figure.  That's why I'm so frightened.

Brian