Author Topic: Who has the best wings in D.C.?  (Read 8324 times)

beetsnotbeats

Re: Who has the best wings in D.C.?
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by thegazelle:
  And a side of blue cheese and celery.
Some places will try to sneak ranch on you, a sure sign of fakers.

amnesiac

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Yada:
  That fake irish bar at the bottom of Jury's hotel has great wings too.
Considering that Jurys is an Irish hotel chain and every inch of the bar was built and imported from Ireland, I'd say Biddy's is a bit more authentic than some other "Irish" pubs in DC...

Not in DC, but Wing Stop in Shady Grove is pretty good. And yeah, I also go to Hooters for the wings.

Bagley

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »
the wings at the wing stop are tiny.  Glory days has decent ones, as well.

K8teebug

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »
The only place to get wings is Clancy's.  

Unfortunetly, it's in Keyser, WV.  BUT, there's a super cheap and nice inn there and it's only about 2.5 hours from DC.

Well worth the drive and the cheap bar tab.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2007, 06:33:00 am »
HERE IT IS...THE SHIT:

Cheogajip Chicken
 13814-C Braddock Rd., Centreville, VA 20121
 703-815-8744
 Overview
 Korea's premier fast food chicken chain serves fresh chickens cooked to order.
 â?¢   Hours: Daily 11 am-11 pm
 â?¢   Price: $ (Average entree $10 and under)
 â?¢   Cuisine: Korean, Chicken
 â?¢   Neighborhood: Chantilly/Centreville
 Editorial Review
 Into a land rich with deep-fried possibilities, where KFC and Popeye's have long reigned, comes a Korean competitor with a succulent bird that is sure to gain fans.

Cheogajip Chicken, a franchise chain with more than 1,200 restaurants in Korea, has opened 12 carryouts in the United States in the past three years, including the first Washington area location in Annandale's Korea Town in 2005. Two more opened last year: one in a predominantly Korean American strip mall in Centreville and the other inside Lotte Plaza, an Asian supermarket in Fairfax. The company has ambitious expansion plans and soon will add pizza to the menu.

Lightly battered with a thin, crisp skin, a Cheogajip fried chicken ($13.99 each) is chopped, Chinese-style, into 18 to 20 pieces and pressure-cooked to order. There is a fleeting hint of five-spice powder. Greasiness is not an issue. The meat is moist and flavorful, and better still, each order comes with an eight-ounce serving of refreshing pickled radish.

The word cheogajip (pronounced CHO-ga-jeep) translates as "mother-in-law's home."

"So Cheogajip Chicken means mother-in-law's chicken," company spokesman Sang Moon wrote in an e-mail. "Traditionally in Korea, when the son-in-law visits the wife's family, the mother-in-law would kill and cook the brood hen, which was a symbol of absolute hospitality."

The best of the side orders ($1.89 each) is the mashed potato, made with fresh red-skin spuds and topped with a spoonful of American-style brown gravy. Unfortunately, the french fries and the coleslaw are mediocre, at best.

For those who like their fried chicken dipped in a sweet, sticky sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds, Cheogajip has a tame Sweet and Mild chicken ($14.99 each) with just a touch of chili-pepper heat. A Hot and Spicy version ($15.99 each) has a much sharper intensity, best left to the brave.

--Walter Nicholls (July 18, 2007)

freakoretardo

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

crevers

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by freakoretardo:
  Check out today's Woot!
I actually prefer today's  Shirt.Woot  :)

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »
Asylum has some damn tasty wings and M-F they're $0.25/each until 8pm. Good sized wings, fried, not baked (BLAH!) and some heat to the sauce  ;)

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2007, 09:54:00 am »
Originally posted by d20001:
  I may be slightly biased since I own the place, but I would have to say Duffy's right across from the 9:30 club has the best buffalo wings.  Plus on Tuesdays they're just $4/doz!
After finally visiting Duffy's for the first time last night, I retract my statement for Asylum and my vote now belongs to Duffy's!  These wings were huge and crispy. Probably because they don't fully coat the wings but give you a nice plate of sauce to roll them around yourself. I really liked that so the wingskin doesn't get all soft and soggy.  Very nice sauce too with some sweet taste to it!

Normal Happy Hour price is $6 for a dozen, but it looks like Tuesday is the day to go at $4

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

930clubber

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »
to join seth's Cheogajip Chicken recommendation, i'll chip in Bon Chon in Annandale: http://bonchon.com/eng/index.php

i think the two restaurants must serve the different styles of korean fried chicken.  the kind at bon chon reminds me of general tso's chicken but much more subtle and balanced.  i'd like to try cheogajip soon for comparison.

smakawhat

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »
I haven't found a so called good wings place, actually no I take that back,

In my neighborhood of Brightwood there use to be a 24 hr place called Wings N Things, whose wings were AWESOME.  They were located at Georgia Ave and Kennedy ST NW.

However now they are gone and replaced by another crappy Chinese takeout...

Suggestion I recomend highly though on good fried chicken is "The Hitchin Post" in Petworth.  Great fried Chicken.

lily1

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2007, 05:16:00 pm »
I am not a wings person, but I agree with Shadrach, the best wings are at Hard Times. Bethesda location.

They grill 'em. Those charred bits make the difference!

Originally posted by Shadrach:
  I stopped eating meat a couple years ago, but before that my foavorite wings were at Hard Times Cafe. They really are great.