Author Topic: club security  (Read 1615 times)

bearman🐻

club security
« on: October 19, 2004, 10:56:00 am »
I know we all hate Nation, and I know we have probably said all that we can say about what a godawful venue this is (and trust me...I avoid it all costs unless it is something truly special that I want to see). However, I couldn't believe last night that they actually wanted to take my wallet from me and search through it. I drew a line there and told them absolutely not, and after a second they let me through. I just simply cannot believe that people were letting them get away with that one. I asked them why they did that, they said that I could have a blade in there. Unreal. I know they've had problems in the past and that they need to stay operational, but it is one of those places that truly makes you feel like they assume the worst from their patrons. I know they have to be prepared, blah blah blah. Fine. But the 9:30 does a great job welcoming their patrons while letting them know what is and isn't acceptable. There are rules, like any other club. At least the 9:30 lets you bring in a pen and chewing gum and friggin' Advil.

hitman

Re: club security
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 11:52:00 am »
I can't comment on Nation, because I've never been there, and with all of the negative crap I've heard about it and the area it is in, I probably would never go.  But I can say that I've never had a bad time at 9:30 in regards to its security staff.  They've always been nothing but supportive and helpful to me and my wife.

flawd101

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 04:33:00 pm »
i love the 930 staff.  its fun to see who is working that night.  its kind of like a tv show/game.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 04:40:00 pm »
nation has a lot of rules that they blame on "dc law," or "police regulations."  unless there are different laws for se than nw, it's a pile of crap.  the police don't care if someone has a wallet chain on in a club.  dc law does not say that you can only serve one drink at a time.  if they want to have stupid rules, they should just admit that it's their rule, and not pretend that their hands are being forced.

eltee

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 05:05:00 pm »
I haven't seen a show at Nation. Once you get through the doors, is it enjoyable? Good place to see a show other than the situation at the door?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 05:06:00 pm »
Well, they've been a bit under-the-gun over the last couple of years.  I'm sure the police are still keeping tabs on them.  Their rules may not really be laws or official police regulations, but it's probably a lot more effective to say "the cops are making us do it - we have no choice", rather than arguing with some drunk/stoned kids about your club's policies.

I'd definitely have an issue with them searching my wallet though.

Barcelona

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sugartastic Tee Silk:
  I haven't seen a show at Nation. Once you get through the doors, is it enjoyable? Good place to see a show other than the situation at the door?
I saw a Breeders show there, I believe it was in 2002. Good show, the place is ok for shows, but I much prefer the 9:30, Blackcat or Iota which are my favorite places in DC for a music show. I don't recall seeing any bar nearby to have a beer before or after the show. Still, I'd rather see the Pixies at Nation than at DAR.

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 05:20:00 pm »
I haven't seen a concert at nation since the name change all those years back.  It was always a poor sounding echo chamber.  You had to be close so you only got the speaker sound or all the way at the back so the echo was not really happening.  Otherwise it was a fishbowl.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 05:35:00 pm »
Not a good place for a show.  Many, many bad sight lines unless you're in the middle of the floor, and sound is bad.  I stay away if I can, but sometimes it's the 'medium' sized venue between 9:30 and the Patriot Center.  Blech.

Oh yeah, there is NOTHING around there, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a cab.  Now that metro's open 'til 3:00, it probably is easier, but I was stranded down there a couple times.  Yuck.

joeavrage

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 07:43:00 pm »
Yep, great danceclub... bad concert venue. Security is weird though... they're really tough on Fridays for Cubik(dance music) but strangely seem to let people walk right in without any trouble on Saturdays for Velvet (gay night). Not sure why they make a big deal for rock concerts

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 01:06:00 am »
I have been to but one show at nation and will never go again.  The club is the total pits.  Dirty, stinky, and run like crap.  My friend told me that in the women's room there were signs on the stalls that said "To be used by only one person at a time".  Now THATS scary!

Over the last several years we have been to close to 100 shows at 930.  Everything from B52s, Cheap Trick, James Brown to Black Flag, Henry Rollins, Deftones (and soon MM).  We have never even seen a slight altercation.  All we can figure is that the word is out that if you want to come out and have a good time at whatever show is that night then come on out.  if you want to be a dick stay home.

I have never been to a club run as well as 930 EVER and I am closing in on 50 years old.  I wouldnt be driving up from Richmond as often as we do if this was not the case.  Its just damn nice to go to a club where the security is there to make sure you have a good time rather than search through the crowd to see who they can screw with.  Thanks guys for running this place right!

RB
FUKIT

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 09:36:00 am »
Something the local government are thinking of doing in Cork is to make clubs who have a reputation for trouble pay directly for Guarda (police) to patrol outside/inside the club during opening hours....I thought that was a great idea personally, hit them were it hurts the most...THE POCKET!

LRHippo

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 09:41:00 am »
Originally posted by RatBastard:
  I have been to but one show at nation and will never go again.  The club is the total pits.  Dirty, stinky, and run like crap.  My friend told me that in the women's room there were signs on the stalls that said "To be used by only one person at a time".  Now THATS scary!
 RB
They're in the men's room too....Only went there once, but not for a show. Can't imagine seeing a show there.