Author Topic: Why, IMO, Tiesto sux  (Read 4224 times)

slappy

Re: Why, IMO, Tiesto sux
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 10:20:00 am »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
 A few truths IMO:

2.   If you can sing along to whatever the DJ is playing, youâ??re not in a dance club, it might be something fun but itâ??s not a dance club.

Wow! House isn't music for a dance club???  :eek:  

You might want to educate yerself based on that statement. I think DJ's like Roy Davis Jr., Mark Farina, Armand Van Helden, Masters At Work have spun at dance clubs with people singing along.

bnyced0

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 10:28:00 am »
Originally posted by slappy:

A few truths IMO:

2.   If you can sing along to whatever the DJ is playing, youâ??re not in a dance club, it might be something fun but itâ??s not a dance club.

Wow! House isn't music for a dance club???    :eek:    

You might want to educate yerself based on that statement. I think DJ's like Roy Davis Jr., Mark Farina, Armand Van Helden, Masters At Work have spun at dance clubs with people singing along. [/b]
Are we talking about music with vocals, or the crowd singing all the lyrics to every track being played?  Knowing the lyrics to the random house track with vocals, would certainly happen occasionally but a club where someone is spinnin a set where everyone knows all the lyrics to  the vocal parts of every track is either a set that is either too repetitive or represents a Dj that isn't earning his/her keep because I think that he/she should be breakin out shit that is fresh.  So my over generalization is noted, but I stand by the statement that I don't think it's a dance club if those conditions exist.

bnyced0

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 10:37:00 am »
Perhaps a definition of "commercial" would clear this up.  My definition would derive from commerce, and the sales of 12"s,cd's, mixtapes, etc being made by an artist, DJ, whoever.  So most people would argue that dance music represents a large enough percentage of the music pie to be "commercial?"  I can see there being cheesy, or not cheesy dance music.  But I don't think the "cheesiest" electronic music makes a dent commercially through sales.  But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.  Has there been a platinum dance album?  Not talking about CC Music Factory, KLF, or even Chemical Brothers, but I don't think Oakenfold, Tiesto, or Van Dyk have sold 100s of thousands of albums, so I don't think their commercial, in the literal sense but perhaps commercial is a substitute for another more accurate word?

Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:

[qb]OK, I'll bite. How is that wrong?[/b]
there is definitely "commercial" dance music and "non-commercial" dance music, i don't think most people would argue that

[

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 10:42:00 am »
i don't know about in the states, but those mega DJs certainly have top-selling albums elsewhere
(o|o)

TheDirector217

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 11:01:00 am »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  i'm just a lowly law student and summer clerk, and as it looks right now, i probably won't step foot in court or talk to a client for the first few years of my career
For some reason, I haven't been able to stop listening to "I Fought The Law" for the past week. Aside of the fact that it RAWKS, you're the second thing that passes through my head. (I think you said it was your pre-test ritual.) Go Hoyas . . . .

*cues up iPod*
 "Breakin' rocks in-a the hot sun/
 I fought the law & a the law won . . . "  :D

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »
not that he falls into the category of tiesto or oakenfold, but how about mark ronson. i heard him dj once (for lily allen) and it was f'ing incredible. i learned why hes surely worth the $5k or whatever it is he charges.

a friend of mine is a huge fan of tiesto and oakenfold, and regardless of their music, the way he describes seeing them always made me wanna check it out. he always goes to that music conference in miami (or whatever its called) and has an amazing time. ive never thought to ask how much e was involved, or whatever his drug of choice is, but id imagine there's one, but i could be entirely wrong. maybe hes just really into the music.
HeyLa

bnyced0

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 01:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  not that he falls into the category of tiesto or oakenfold, but how about mark ronson. i heard him dj once (for lily allen) and it was f'ing incredible. i learned why hes surely worth the $5k or whatever it is he charges.

a friend of mine is a huge fan of tiesto and oakenfold, and regardless of their music, the way he describes seeing them always made me wanna check it out. he always goes to that music conference in miami (or whatever its called) and has an amazing time. ive never thought to ask how much e was involved, or whatever his drug of choice is, but id imagine there's one, but i could be entirely wrong. maybe hes just really into the music.
WMC (Winter Music Conference)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

Originally posted by xneverwherex:

WMC (Winter Music Conference) [/b]
ahh yes thats right. he's been flying out from hawaii for awhile now to go to that every year. sounds like a great time.
HeyLa