Author Topic: Hootie Suzuki  (Read 1344 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Hootie Suzuki
« on: August 16, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
Ouch

From Entertainment Weekly (8/20/04)

The Mooney Suzuki
 Alive & Amplified

Following in Liz Phair's footsteps, these New York garage blockheads recruited the Matrix for their second CD, thus becoming the first band of their genre to officially sell out.  The colloration with pop most ham-fisted producers has it's moment: "Loose 'n' Juicy" is a dumb fun power-chorder perfect for car stereos.  Unfortunately, the Mooney's concept of mass appeal also includes embarrassing homanges to the glory of rock (and groupies) and a Bic-lighter ballad that's pure Hootie.  C+  David Browne
T.Rex

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Hootie Suzuki
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 11:21:00 am »
Yup....Haven't heard this record but I've long sensed disaster...

TomJaworski

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 12:29:00 pm »
Didn't like their old stuff...definitely won't like their new stuff.  They're like a cartoon band.

pepper*sans*salt

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 12:51:00 pm »
I love the Mooney Suzuki. One of my favorite bands.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 01:34:00 pm »
my first impression of the mooney suzuki was a single with two instrumental tracks "hot/shitter" which i really dug.  however a second single and "electric sweat" really didn't do much for me. and now it sounds like they've gone off the deep end into hair metal territory...
T.Rex

Jaguär

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 11:55:00 pm »
The Mooney Suzuki are a band that I love live but don't really enjoy all that much recorded.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 08:29:00 am »
I thought People Get Ready was much better than Electric Sweat.  I'm with Jag....good live band but none of their recorded output was ever really in heavy rotation with me.