Author Topic: built to spill  (Read 6467 times)

markie

Re: built to spill
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2003, 03:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  I disagree; checking a band's website is helpful.

And why does Pollstar count for shit?
yes, but go back to the original question. What proportion of people check a bands website often enough to know there will be two shows with one announced later?

Pollstar is often wrong. It is a good indication of what might happen, more accurate than a weather man, but still can be wide of the mark.

like if BTS dont sell a 100 tickets for the first show, there will presumably not be a second show.

markie

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2003, 03:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by jadetree:

Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
 Ding ding DING
So you are admitting to being obsessive?  I guess I already knew that, nevermind. [/b]
there are a handful of bands whose website I check once in a while becase if they played a little further afield I would go to see them. But it is a small proportion of the acts I would go and see if they played DC.

most other bands boards make me want to post shit about the band, they are such wanton love ins.

ggw

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2003, 03:57:00 pm »
 Pollstar is often wrong. It is a good indication of what might happen, more accurate than a weather man, but still can be wide of the mark.

Pollstar misses a lot of the smaller shows at Black Cat, but when have they been wrong about a 9:30 show?

markie

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2003, 04:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 but when have they been wrong about a 9:30 show?
Without thinking about it, B52s last year. I am sure there are plenty more.

ggw

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2003, 04:04:00 pm »

but when have they been wrong about a 9:30 show?
Without thinking about it, B52s last year. I am sure there are plenty more. [/b]
If I recall correctly, that show was also announced on the B52's website, but shortly thereafter, the whole tour was postponed for some reason.  I don't think Pollstar can be blamed in that case.

markie

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2003, 04:06:00 pm »
   I don't think Pollstar can be blamed in that case.
It didnt make it to the 930 website though or go on sale. I would say that is exactly the reason pollstar is unreliable.

ggw

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2003, 04:11:00 pm »

I don't think Pollstar can be blamed in that case.
It didnt make it to the 930 website though or go on sale. I would say that is exactly the reason pollstar is unreliable. [/b]
[pedant]

unreliable

adj 1: liable to be erroneous or misleading; "an undependable generalization" [syn: undependable] 2: not to be trusted [syn: undependable] 3: not worthy of reliance or trust; "in the early 1950s computers were large and expensive and unreliable"; "an undependable assistant" [syn: undependable] [ant: reliable, reliable] 4: dangerously unstable and unpredictable; "treacherous winding roads"; "an unreliable trestle" [syn: treacherous] 5: lacking a sense of responsibility[/pedant]

In my experience, 99% of the shows that Pollstar lists for the 9:30 Club actually occur. That's pretty reliable.

The fact that they list them before the 9:30 Club announces them and before tickets go on sale is a good thing in my opinion.

markie

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2003, 04:24:00 pm »
  [pedant]

Pot....... Kettle......... "you're black"

I think pollstar is good, but the only guarantee a band will play is them actually starting to play. The longer the forecast the more unreliable it is.

My point was "its on the bands website and pollstar"

pollstar having it does not make it more or less likely.

[arse face]

letters and soda

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2003, 04:25:00 pm »

Originally posted by letters and soda:
  well, they did already announce 2 dates on their site and pollstar, so its not like its a huge secret.  alot of bts fans are obsessive and will go to both shows.
I wonder what proportion of people who go to a show are obsessive enough to check the bands website regularly enough to know there are 2 dates?

Pollstar counts for shit. BTW. [/b]
you're totally right.  pollstar is unreliable.  so you go to the band's website when you see the show on pollstar.  or when someone questions said announcement on the 930 boards.  

most times that bts tours (which is not all that often), they play multiple dates in the larger east coast cities.  it looks like you are correct, as there are 2 new york dates, but one is sold out.  so, if you are right, then i don't have to worry about one show getting sold out and the second not happening.  which is the whole reason i created this thread

ggw

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2003, 04:44:00 pm »

[arse face]
I was self-depracatingly calling myself a pedant.

So I guess you were calling yourself "arse face"?

I just haven't had any bad experience with Pollstar.  It seems to me that they announce shows at the same time they appear on the band's website.  The 9:30 Club announces them (I'm guessing) once the i's are dotted, the t's are crossed, they are ready to sell tickets, it is Thursday, and somebody updates the site.

Other than the B52s incident (which seemed to be a cancellation, not an error), I can't recall a time that a show erroneously appeared on Pollstar and didn't happen.

markie

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2003, 05:04:00 pm »

So I guess you were calling yourself "arse face"?

I can't recall a time that a show erroneously appeared on Pollstar and didn't happen. [/b]
In order:

sure

Well for 930 it is probably pretty good then. I was wrong.

For blackcat, well its a bit hit and miss, but that is the very nature of the blackcat. The tyde are still supporting nada surf according to their site, even though the blackcat knows they wont be.

markie

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2003, 05:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by letters and soda:
   so, if you are right, then i don't have to worry about one show getting sold out and the second not happening.  which is the whole reason i created this thread
unless it gets sold out too late to announce a second show. Say in the week before the show is due to take place.

letters and soda

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2003, 11:28:00 am »
well, the whole "wait until the first show sells out to announce a second" was shot to hell.  two galactic shows were announced today.  i bought tickets at the door the day of their last show here, too.

markie

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2003, 11:33:00 am »
polyphonic spree announced both dates at once as well.

there are clearly advantages to both strategies.