Author Topic: Cedars / Augustana / New Amsterdams  (Read 2856 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Cedars / Augustana / New Amsterdams
« on: April 10, 2006, 12:55:00 pm »
has anyone heard Augustana?  from what I heard on their myspace page, it's pure, unadulterated, schmaltzy, five-for-fighting-esque crap ... i liked get up kids, and the new amsterdams sound decent, kind of like emo with a twang

------------------------------------------
 For a budding young band trying to make some headway in the music industry, the last thing you want to hear is that another group just stole your name.

Local Britpop aficionados Cedars released a promising debut EP in fall 2004 under their former moniker Cartel, which spawned singles garnering them radio airplay here and in the UK. Unexpectedly, the band heard about an Atlanta-area punk-pop outfit touring nationally under the Cartel name. After a frustrating series of correspondence, the group simply decided to change their name to Cedars.

??We had Cartel trademarked, but we just didn??t have the money to fight it in court,? said Francisco ??Fico? Lazzaro, Cedars?? bassist. ??We tried finding an amicable solution, but they were real [jerks] about it. We like Cedars better anyway.?

Opening for former Get Up Kids frontman Matt Pryor??s new heartland-emo group The New Amsterdams on Black Cat??s mainstage tonight, Cedars play atmospheric pop music with big nods to the spacey dream pop of Manchester??s Elbow and Doves (whose debut EP was titled ??Cedar?), with the tighter song structures of Coldplay and U2.

While Cedars play frequent one-off shows up and down the East Coast, the quartet finds it hard to function as a full-time touring band and still hold down day jobs. ??We think our best shot at getting signed to a proper label will be by putting out a really well done record,? Lazzaro said.

??We start recording next month,? Lazzaro continued, ??and should have something finished towards the end of the summer. The response to this record may very well make or break us. Stay tuned.?

Black Cat Mainstage, 1811 14th St. NW; with Augustana and The New Amsterdams, Thurs., 8:30 p.m., $12; 202-667-7960. (U St.-Cardozo)
(o|o)

ggw

Re: Cedars / Augustana / New Amsterdams
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 01:01:00 pm »
Why no mention that "the Cedars" was already being used by another band?

http://www.thecedarsband.com/

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 01:14:00 pm »
Augustana is mostly crap. I bought their cd a few months ago for $1 and think I listened to 3 songs. Of course, wouldn't you know, they're playing HFStival.

Sage 703

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 01:07:00 pm »
can't make it to this tonight, but it should be a good show.  who is going?

chokeychicken

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 01:22:00 pm »
i want to see the new amsterdams.

Fico

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 01:26:00 pm »
I have to go  :)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »
i'll be there for cedars, and maybe i'll retreat to the red room for augustana =)
(o|o)

Fico

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 10:09:00 am »
Hoya aside..anyone able to make it to the show? thoughts?

kevhender

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »
Enjoyed the show... Great stuff Fico, that was my first time seeing you guys, I'll definitely be checking you out again.  I thought all 3 sounded good.  Was surprised at how many people left after Augustana.  New Ams were much better live than their studio recordings.  Overall I was very entertained.

Bartelby

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 06:03:00 pm »
Fico - so sorry I had to miss your show, but I heard elsewhere you guys sounded great.  Those who blew off Augustana missed hearing an awesome lap steel guitarist...not sure why anyone would think they sound like everyone else.  I've heard 'em live twice and I found them excellent musicians with a unique sound. They recently played Leno/Letterman - can't remember - and they sounded great then too...oh well, one man's garbage...etc.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 11:24:00 am »
thought it was a great set, fico, you guys sounded really good ... unfortunately i had to bail shortly after seeing you in the red room, had a friend in from out of town ... oh, and thanks for the shout-out
(o|o)