Author Topic: iPod question...  (Read 4547 times)

vansmack

Re: iPod question...
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 07:29:00 pm »
Thanks for reminding me Fico.

I have a question for you iPoders.

Does iTunes convert on the fly or do I have to make a copy of the file on the harddrive of the PC and then copy it to the iPod?

For example, when I use Windows Media Player to copy songs to my Napster player, WMP converts the song to WMA automatically regardless of what format it is in and leaves my file intact on the PC, but it puts a WMA copy on my player.  There is no new WMA file on my hard drive.

Does iTunes do this?  If I get Smackette her much coveted Pink Mini iPod, I don't want to have two copies of every file (one in WMA and one in AAC), so if iTunes converts WMA to AAC or MP3 on the fly, I'll get her one.  If not, I'll have to think about doing something else.

Thanks in advance.
27>34

hypopig

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 03:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  You can't segue on an ipod. You can on a Ginger, though. Or, a Ginger is a Segway, of sorts.

On a PC, if under Control Panel>Folder Options you select "show hidden folders" in the View tab. Next go to your ipod. There is a folder on the ipod called control that has music folders in it (i can't remember what they are called, the previously hidden folders should look semi transparent). You can then just drag and drop the music from each of the folders (f01 to whatever) to your PC. As long as the music is tagged ok it'll all get sorted out in itunes.
Yes you can. It might be a version upgrade though as I can't seem to find the option to check/uncheck on my work copy of iTunes (PC), but I know it's on my home version. It basically fades out the last 5-10 seconds of the song as it starts playing the next song. I'll try and remember to look for where exactly when I get home.

markie

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 03:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

I have a question for you iPoders.

I don't want to have two copies of every file (one in WMA and one in AAC), so if iTunes converts WMA to AAC or MP3 on the fly, I'll get her one.  If not, I'll have to think about doing something else.

Ipod/itunes does not support WMA at all. It needs to be AAC or MP3. Get a Zen Micro or something. Even one of those ugly Dell players....

Fico

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by HypoPig:

You can't segue on an ipod. You can on a Ginger, though. Or, a Ginger is a Segway, of sorts.

On a PC, if under Control Panel>Folder Options you select "show hidden folders" in the View tab. Next go to your ipod. There is a folder on the ipod called control that has music folders in it (i can't remember what they are called, the previously hidden folders should look semi transparent). You can then just drag and drop the music from each of the folders (f01 to whatever) to your PC. As long as the music is tagged ok it'll all get sorted out in itunes.
Yes you can. It might be a version upgrade though as I can't seem to find the option to check/uncheck on my work copy of iTunes (PC), but I know it's on my home version. It basically fades out the last 5-10 seconds of the song as it starts playing the next song. I'll try and remember to look for where exactly when I get home. [/b]
Hypo...I'd definitely luv to hear how its done..keep me updated..

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2005, 04:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by HypoPig:

Yes you can. It might be a version upgrade though as I can't seem to find the option to check/uncheck on my work copy of iTunes (PC), but I know it's on my home version. It basically fades out the last 5-10 seconds of the song as it starts playing the next song. I'll try and remember to look for where exactly when I get home. [/b]
in iTunes, hit CTRL+, (preferences), go to audio, and select the "crossfade playback," not sure if this translates over to your iPod ... good luck ...
(o|o)

TheNomad

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 04:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:
  this has versions for OSX and windows:
  http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/application.php?app=iPodRip

got good reviews, haven't tried it yet
Can I download all the songs off someone else's ipod to my computer with this program?  That would be very useful.

Fico

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Stuart Ransom Miller:

Originally posted by Celeste:
  this has versions for OSX and windows:
   http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/application.php?app=iPodRip  

got good reviews, haven't tried it yet
Can I download all the songs off someone else's ipod to my computer with this program?  That would be very useful. [/b]
I did just that with a program called iPod Agent...type it up on google and it appears right away...