Author Topic: K of C at Iota  (Read 7013 times)

kcjones119

Re: K of C at Iota
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 12:56:00 pm »
Tis only for the young ones:
 from the Astralwerks newsletter:

"Next Tuesday, February 1st marks the start of the first North American tour by Kings Of Convenience in almost three years. Kicking off the festivities in Orlando at The Social, Erlend and Eirik will be hitting many places they have never played before including Atlanta and Athens, GA and a stop in DC (actually Arlington, VA) before they head to New York for two sold-out shows at the Bowery Ballroom. The band is reaching out to anyone in the DC area who is under 21 to invite him or her to a special FREE soundcheck party between 5:30 - 6:30PM at the Iota Club in Arlington on Saturday, February 5th. You won't get the full show but you will be able to meet and greet the band and get a few choice renditions from their excellent new album, 'Riot On An Empty Street.' Tickets are on sale for the regularly scheduled show for 21+ patrons the same night. Full tour details are available by visiting our Kings Of Convenience site, and the band will be announcing West Coast dates very soon."

Bags

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 01:04:00 pm »
That is really quite incredibly cool...

eltee

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 01:19:00 pm »
Hmm..KofC site states 6:30 - 7:30 pm...

More bands should do this - plenty of youngin's are upset they can't go to Iota.

Jaguär

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2005, 01:47:00 am »
I'm wondering if this has anything to do with Pancake Mountain? If not, they are both missing out on a great opportunity.

easement

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
be prepared to be quiet.

they make the audience be absolutely silent. they take is as far as saying if the bartenders mus mix martiinis, then they should do it in rhythm of the song.

eltee

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2005, 03:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by easement:
  be prepared to be quiet.

they make the audience be absolutely silent. they take is as far as saying if the bartenders mus mix martiinis, then they should do it in rhythm of the song.
wow. this will be a first at Iota. Hope the crowd doesn't burst.

bellenseb

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2005, 03:30:00 pm »
I wish Iron and Wine had this policy. The Iota show was ruined for me by chatty kattys.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2005, 03:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  I'm wondering if this has anything to do with Pancake Mountain? If not, they are both missing out on a great opportunity.
Speaking of Pancake Mountain - The Arcade Fire recorded some stuff for them when they were in town.
  Pics

freddyadu

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2005, 11:14:00 pm »
how early did one need to have arrived in order to make it in to the sold-out show?

helicon1

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2005, 12:11:00 am »
Originally posted by freddyadu:
  how early did one need to have arrived in order to make it in to the sold-out show?
At the minimum, 7:30. Maybe earlier. I got there at 8:30 and we only got into the dining room. I could barely hear the music so I left.

SalParadise

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2005, 11:09:00 am »
it was sold out by around 7:30-45.

the show itself was very, very good. i like how they keep that same just-above-a-whisper volume from their records when performing live. crowd was very well-behaved too (upfront at least).

a couple of friends of mine got there too late and tried listening from the restaurant side. when i met up with them afterwards, they all thought the band wasn't using mics and (literally) playing acoustically.

eltee

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2005, 11:29:00 am »
Originally posted by SalParadise:
  it was sold out by around 7:30-45.

yeah, bummer.