Author Topic: Which show exceeded your expectations the most!  (Read 3799 times)

mankie

Which show exceeded your expectations the most!
« on: October 29, 2003, 12:56:00 pm »
I'll start....and I went to both of these to keep others company;

Howard Jones/Human League/Culture Club...Nissan

Crash Test Dummies.....930

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Which show exceeded your expectations the most!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 01:03:00 pm »
paul mccartney @ mci center
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 01:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Crash Test Dummies.....930
dont underestimate those Canucks.

mine is, Billy Idol just last month at 930.

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 01:36:00 pm »
Psychedelic Furs at 9:30 a couple of years back.

or

Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Soundgarden at the Whiskey back in 1990/1991.
27>34

SPARX

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 08:08:00 pm »
Clash at Ritchey Coliseum.Face blown clean off.Afterwards, I  was never the same.Goodbye Todd,Zappa,Yes,Stones.Hello Stranglers,Pistols,Damned,Buzzcocks etc. etc.

lily1

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 11:10:00 pm »
bryan ferry last year. was expecting a sub par show and it was fantastic.

Sir HC

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 10:51:00 am »
Some of these you have to realize I was working...

Marcy's Playground - Second album tour.  They were very tight, had a great lights show (some guy who usually works with the Allman brothers), and I didn't realize they had other songs that are good as I really don't like that "Sex and Candy" song.

Sister Hazel - Again really good show, tight band, and they have good material.

John Mayer -  He can really play.  Very nice people, at the time no rock star-ness, and again good songs.  

Jesus and Mary Chain 1986 (I know twangirl hated this one but...) - I had read that they would usually play about 20 minutes and storm off stage sometimes with guitars just squealing against the amps for the whole set.  Well this show was over 40 minutes long (with the hour + 9353 set, that is a good show).  They played all their hits other than Upside Down, and I have yet to be at a show with that much of a wall of noise (in a good way).  One of my first shows, and one of my fav's.

B52s 2003 - I thought it would be rote play by the numbers robots on stage.  But they were enegetic and played a great set.  The openers were fun even (a ska band from baltimore).  Thought it might be a travisty but was a great evening.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 10:56:00 am »
Originally posted by Sir HC:

Jesus and Mary Chain 1986 (I know twangirl hated this one but...) - I had read that they would usually play about 20 minutes and storm off stage sometimes with guitars just squealing against the amps for the whole set.  Well this show was over 40 minutes long (with the hour + 9353 set, that is a good show).  They played all their hits other than Upside Down, and I have yet to be at a show with that much of a wall of noise (in a good way).  One of my first shows, and one of my fav's.

I'm jealous...I woulda loved to see that show.  I love the first few JMC records.

One of the first shows I ever saw was 9353 at DC space and man was I blown away.  Not so much by the music, but just by the whole freak scene.  I was a little 14 year old suburban twat and here were guys in the club rolling joints and lighting them right there.  I knew I was home.

bearman🐻

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 03:26:00 pm »
I was stunned that I actually liked the Judybats. A friend dragged me to see them at the old club, and they were fantastic. I also know people will chastise me for saying this, but I also went to see Springsteen, and have a much better appreciation for him as a songwriter and performer as a result. Mind you, I don't own any Springsteen, but it was really solid and he played hard for over 3 hours.  He earned my respect that night.

bearman🐻

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 03:27:00 pm »
OH yeah...and Radiohead on the Bends tour at the Black Cat. I thought Pablo Honey sucked, hadn't heard the Bends, and then got to see them (with David Gray no less). I was impressed that they had actually learned to write songs.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 05:24:00 pm »
This is crazy, but....

Yes in 1984.  Three guys a year behind me in high school (i.e., they couldn't drive yet) paid for my ticket if I'd drive 'em, so I did.  It was awesome.

Sir HC

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 05:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:

Originally posted by Sir HC:

I'm jealous...I woulda loved to see that show.  I love the first few JMC records.

One of the first shows I ever saw was 9353 at DC space and man was I blown away.  Not so much by the music, but just by the whole freak scene.  I was a little 14 year old suburban twat and here were guys in the club rolling joints and lighting them right there.  I knew I was home. [/b]
It was a very interesting show.  twangirl thought it sucked because they were definitely drunk off their asses (thought Jim would fall off stage a couple times), but they played really as you would expect.