Author Topic: Worst support band ever!  (Read 10183 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Worst support band ever!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2003, 06:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  the woman who opened for Paul Weller at the theater (Lincoln?) on U St in 97/98
that was Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde and I'll agree her attempt at doing the billy bragg thing didn't work.  Concrete Blonde produced some great singles but Johnette overall catalog is more miss than hit...

that whole show was a bit or disappoint... weller was out promoting "heavy soul" not one of his better efforts.  plus he was sticking pretty close to the solo stuff for material.  he hated touring the states then and it showed.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2003, 06:18:00 pm »
book of love with depeche mode

and the ramones must have a habit of taking crap warm ups act... once in detroit it was the heartthrobs(?) a spandex clad 80's pop act.  that was bad
T.Rex

Jaguär

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2003, 07:25:00 pm »
Erase Errata who opened for Sonic Youth. Those bitches wouldn't stop playing. Then they stopped and came out again with Kim Gordon to play some more. I just about died and was ready to go up onstage and shove them all off. Sadly, for my sake, a lot of others liked them. I have no fucking clue why! They were God-awful.

Before I read anyone mention Dead Meadow, I myself was going to list them. UGH!!!!! It's bad enough that they can't play anything that resembles music but they turn it up so loud that your ears are burned out for the good stuff to follow.

Dead Meadow just opened for Super Furry Animals in Manchester about a week ago. Everyone absolutely hated them. You have no idea how embarrased that I was to have to admit that they are from DC. Someone told me that SFA requested them to support them. I'm assuming it's because SFA are guaranteed to sound great after that mess.

Sir HC

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2003, 11:01:00 am »
Went to see the Kinks at Merriweather way way back (1984 maybe?).  Well Translator was scheduled to open for them.  Get there early to see them and whoops change of opener to some horrid three piece hair band.  Not only were they a hair band but they sucked.  The solos required the guy to lift his guitar neck up to the heavens and do stupid runs down the neck.  Oh, and they were all in spandex.  Biggest let down in years.

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2003, 11:17:00 am »
Needs New Body, opening for Arlo and Rilo Kiley at Velvet Lounge.

Tuneless, melody free, pretension wanking and random playing of notes. Most people would have thought they were a joke rather than a real band.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2003, 12:32:00 pm »
Over the years i saw The Cult twice as openers.  Once when touring for Electric opening for Billy Idol and once touring for Sonic Temple opening for Metallica.  They weren't horrible shows, but definatley among the most forgettable live acts I've ever seen.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2003, 12:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Went to see the Kinks at Merriweather way way back (1984 maybe?).  Well Translator was scheduled to open for them.  Get there early to see them and whoops change of opener to some horrid three piece hair band.  Not only were they a hair band but they sucked.  The solos required the guy to lift his guitar neck up to the heavens and do stupid runs down the neck.  Oh, and they were all in spandex.  Biggest let down in years.
I believe this was 9/11/86.  I was there too.  Drove about 4 hours from PSU and Translator cancelled.  Talk about disappointed.

J'Mal

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2003, 03:44:00 pm »
Europe opening for Def Leppard on Hysteria tour.

J'Mal

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2003, 04:26:00 am »
oh also, badly drawn boy closing for Leona Naess is going to suck.  Leona fans, don't bother sticking around.

Shadrach

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2003, 05:18:00 am »
Retardobot 2000 or 3000, I can't remember. Opened for the Genetorturers I believe. They were just God awful. They were wearing these cardboard and tinfoil robot suits, then they set the stage on fire. Terrible.

Sir HC

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2003, 10:05:00 am »
Originally posted by Shadrach:
  Retardobot 2000 or 3000, I can't remember. Opened for the Genetorturers I believe. They were just God awful. They were wearing these cardboard and tinfoil robot suits, then they set the stage on fire. Terrible.
2000.  Yep, opened for the Genitorturers, yeah as it wasn't for My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult.  They set off the fire alarm too.  Can still see the melted carpet on that side of the stage...