Author Topic: Burning Brides Roll Call  (Read 4757 times)

Jaguär

Re: Burning Brides Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 11:04:00 pm »
Sounds like the Brides have been jilted by their fans.

ggw

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 12:47:00 am »
Well it was their fans' loss.

It was a smokin' show.  Best of the four times I've seen them.  The new material (which made up the bulk of the show) was fantastic live.  The old stuff sounded great as always.

The crowd was definitely small, but the band didn't seem to care.  They rocked hard.

The metalphobes may not have been as overwhelmingly pleased, as the show definitely had a heavy, guitar solo-laden edge.  But for those in touch with their inner Dio, it was great.

Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Sounds like the Brides have been jilted by their fans.

andyrichter

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 12:51:00 am »
wow wow wow.  just got back from the show.  great way to end the day as i was suffering from a case of the "mondays."  i was there primarily to see the explosion, who rocked my ass off and wasn't really expecting much from burning brides.  boy was i wrong.  they fucking shredded.  borderline metal band at times as the headbanging in the audience of 100 or so indicated.  i gotta pick up their cd tomorrow.

Lamb007

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2004, 12:16:00 pm »
I thought the Explosion phoned it in a bit last night (compared to other times I've seen them.)  The Brides were astoudingly good.  Third time I've seen them, easily the best.  The new stuff is much better appreciated live.  Here's hoping their next visit to town isn't on a Monday.  If you skipped it last night, you really did miss something special.  And yes I'm rubbing it in.

dlcjr1775

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 04:40:00 pm »
The Rolling Blackouts did their very best for a group of what appeared to be a mostly uninterested crowd of about 30 onlookers, but their material wasn't bad, and they seemed to be having fun. Unimpressed be the explosion, their singer came off like a jerk and their music was played about a step and a half too fast for me to take note of any real talent lying undermeath the ranting of a Heineken-swilling lunkhead. About 10 people in the front seemed to know the words to most of the songs, made amply clear by the mic being passed to members of the audience numerous times. Uncharming. Burning brides sounded great, and maybe it's just because I haven't seen them before, and the album sounds so slick, but I'm surprised that I enjoyed a show as thoroughly as I did as close to Pantera as they sound live. They rocked.   :D

ratioci nation

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2004, 07:02:00 pm »
did Twiggy show up?

Bags

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2004, 10:35:00 am »
At the Black Cat, Here Come the Burning Brides
 Wednesday, August 25, 2004; Page C08
 The Washington Post

Dimitri Coats looks a bit like a young Ted Nugent, but the shaggy Burning Brides frontman is a more refined breed of rock animal. His guitar sound is muscular, but it doesn't drip with testosterone, and his songs are smartly raucous, not blissfully stupid.

On Monday night at the Black Cat, Coats and his band mates -- drummer Mike Ambs and bassist Melanie Campbell -- proved that their punk-metal hybrid is far from turning stale.

The songs from the Philadelphia band's second disc, this year's "Leave No Ashes," borrow liberally from the hard-rock canon: AC/DC, Black Sabbath and perhaps most important, Nirvana. Although almost every one of Coats's riffs was huge, he showed Kurt Cobain's knack for avoiding the cartoonish.

One high point came early: The midtempo "Come Alive" put the Burning Brides in a proper groove, with Ambs and Campbell laying back and Coats letting the riffs roll. Afterward, most of "Leave No Ashes" was represented, from the amped-up Brit-pop hooks of "Dance With the Devil" to the stoner stomp of "To Kill a Swan" and "King of the Demimonde."

Two songs from 2001's "Fall of the Plastic Empire" also stood out: "Glass Slipper" smoked and "Arctic Snow" made the most of its Cobain influence.

From the crowd there was goodwill all around, especially considering that it was a Monday night. Campbell in particular seemed to grin the entire show, slapping hands occasionally with the dudes ogling her from the front row. The Nuge would've approved.

-- Joe Warminsky

nkotb

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2004, 10:41:00 am »
Now, I wasn't here, but isn't Mike Ambs the original drummer, and isn't Jason Kourkounis (from the Hot Snakes) their new permanent drummer?

Originally posted by Bags:
  At the Black Cat, Here Come the Burning Brides
 Wednesday, August 25, 2004; Page C08
 The Washington Post

Dimitri Coats looks a bit like a young Ted Nugent, but the shaggy Burning Brides frontman is a more refined breed of rock animal. His guitar sound is muscular, but it doesn't drip with testosterone, and his songs are smartly raucous, not blissfully stupid.

On Monday night at the Black Cat, Coats and his band mates -- drummer Mike Ambs and bassist Melanie Campbell -- proved that their punk-metal hybrid is far from turning stale.

The songs from the Philadelphia band's second disc, this year's "Leave No Ashes," borrow liberally from the hard-rock canon: AC/DC, Black Sabbath and perhaps most important, Nirvana. Although almost every one of Coats's riffs was huge, he showed Kurt Cobain's knack for avoiding the cartoonish.

One high point came early: The midtempo "Come Alive" put the Burning Brides in a proper groove, with Ambs and Campbell laying back and Coats letting the riffs roll. Afterward, most of "Leave No Ashes" was represented, from the amped-up Brit-pop hooks of "Dance With the Devil" to the stoner stomp of "To Kill a Swan" and "King of the Demimonde."

Two songs from 2001's "Fall of the Plastic Empire" also stood out: "Glass Slipper" smoked and "Arctic Snow" made the most of its Cobain influence.

From the crowd there was goodwill all around, especially considering that it was a Monday night. Campbell in particular seemed to grin the entire show, slapping hands occasionally with the dudes ogling her from the front row. The Nuge would've approved.

-- Joe Warminsky

Random Citizen

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2004, 10:50:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotbie:
  Now, I wasn't here, but isn't Mike Ambs the original drummer, and isn't Jason Kourkounis (from the Hot Snakes) their new permanent drummer?

Yeah, Jason is now permanent, which is why he's not touring with Hot Snakes this fall.

nkotb

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2004, 10:51:00 am »
Granted I know all of this just because I'm a fan of both bands, but this information is found easily on Allmusic.com.  Is it that hard to do a little research?  Or read the album's liner notes?

Originally posted by Random Citizen:

Originally posted by nkotbie:

Yeah, Jason is now permanent, which is why he's not touring with Hot Snakes this fall. [/b]

ggw

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2004, 12:53:00 pm »
I hear a lot of things in the Burning Brides -- the aforementioned AC/DC and Sabbath, as well as a little Zeppelin and even a little Animals.  Nirvana is not one I've ever found.  Do all bands have to be somehow related to Nirvana?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2004, 01:47:00 pm »
duh... the center of the universe is planet cobain
T.Rex

Jaguär

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2004, 01:33:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Do all bands have to be somehow related to Nirvana?
No.

They could be related to Radiohead.

dlcjr1775

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2004, 04:38:00 pm »
Definitly heard strains of Nirvana on Monday. Mostly from Bleach.