Author Topic: Easy Tiger  (Read 3223 times)

Chulahoma

Easy Tiger
« on: June 26, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »
Has anyone listened to Ryan Adam's latest CD?  I like what I've heard so far in the first 5 tracks..

Sage 703

Re: Easy Tiger
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »
I have.  I like it - a solid Ryan Adams outing.  Didn't blow me away, but I wasn't disappointed either.

Random Citizen

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »
I pre-ordered it via Amazon, so the album arrived yesterday. (I also pre-ordered it on iTunes to get some bonus goodies.)

I'd heard a handful of the songs as he performed them live for WXPN on 6/15. The live version of "I Taught Myself How to Grow Old" is just awesome as is the band's version of "Blue Hotel."

Back to the album..."The Sun Also Sets" is just beautiful. I like "These Girls," but I keep wanting to sing the lyrics to "Hey There, Mrs. Lovely," that accompany the earlier version from the Destroyer album.

Looking forward to seeing him perform in PDX and Seattle next month!  :D

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »
That's another great mix tape/CD challenge:

Assemble a GREAT Ryan Adams CD from the 34 million Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown/unreleased records.  It probably could be done.

I suggest "The Rescue Blues" and open it to the floor...

Brian

Random Citizen

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:01:00 pm »
Just one mix CD? Good luck! For the longest time, I've been trying to come up with a Ryan Adams sampler so I could give to friends unfamiliar with his music. It's difficult because I want to include stuff that isn't necessarily readily available to the public (unless you know how to get it), bootlegs, etc.

Even if you just stuck to his solo stuff, there's, what, 9 albums that have been officially released? There's news circulating that he's going to release a box set of music later this year or in 2008. I cannot wait.

eltee

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Random Citizen PDX:
  (I also pre-ordered it on iTunes to get some bonus goodies.)

"The Sun Also Sets" is just beautiful.  
Whaddya get?

I was blown away with "The Sun Also Sets" on first listen and also because I anticipate it could be a great song live.
 "Two" is good enough of a single..for some reason catchy when I started hearing it a few weeks ago.
 The rest of the album I had to zip through, but those and the last three songs I seem to like. So, I'm like callat...a bit of half and half for me too. (Although, I anticipated it more & already prefer it to the last album (29). The Double-disc and "29" was a bit much after Cold Roses, so really, I haven't listened to them more than one time or the random iPod play.)

Sage 703

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian_Walalce:

Assemble a GREAT Ryan Adams CD from the 34 million Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown/unreleased records.  It probably could be done.

Brian
Nah, that's easy.  It was called Heartbreaker.

Random Citizen

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Greer Zoller:
  Whaddya get?
When I pre-ordered it last month, I got to download "Two" (the first single) right then. Ticketmaster is providing pre-orderers (is that a word?) with a special password/advanced notice for the fall tour. When I downloaded the album today, it came with a PDF version of the book, which contains links to other albums and some of his videos. It also included the version of "What Sin (Replaces Love)" that was recorded for the Henry Rollins show and a video performance of "Two."

Random Citizen

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 05:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  Nah, that's easy.  It was called Heartbreaker.
Mmm...as much as I love Heartbreaker, I could easily see taking songs off Demolition ("Dear Chicago," "Nuclear"), Love Is Hell (his version of "Wonderwall," "This House Is Not for Sale"), Cold Roses ("Magnolia Mountain," "Blossom," "Beautiful Sorta," etc.), Jacksonville City Nights ("Dear John," "Hard Way to Fall," etc.) in addition to a few unreleased albums (Suicide Handbook, Destroyer, etc.) and making at least a 2-CD compilation...and that's not even counting the live stuff of which I have maybe 6 or 7 CDs.

Edit: I didn't mean to leave off Gold, but since a lot of people know that album already, I see it as a distraction because it's so different from his other songs that it would be difficult to incorporate it. That said, "Sylvia Plath," is still a favorite of mine.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 05:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian_Walalce:

Brian
Damn,
 Sam,
 I Love,
 A Woman,
 That Rains
(o|o)

Chulahoma

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
do you have any links to some live shows of ryan adams? or at least some recommendations to certain shows i should download?

Sage 703

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 11:25:00 am »
Originally posted by bizou311®:
  do you have any links to some live shows of ryan adams? or at least some recommendations to certain shows i should download?
Go on Archive.org - there are a lot of them, and you can sort by quality and reviews that are on there.  You can find some great stuff that way.

debaser64

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 07:16:00 pm »
Most of the shows on there from last year are really good quality, also check out capitansdead.com blog, they have been posting abunch of the bedhead series (compilations of each song played live for every tour)

Random Citizen

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 12:36:00 am »
Band performances of each track from Easy Tiger

This is on the German Yahoo! music site, but it's pretty self-explanatory on where to click. I wonder if this entire set will be released on DVD eventually as these videos are scattered about the Web, on DVD, iTunes bonus, etc.

I received the orange vinyl version of ET in the mail today. It came with a bonus DVD with three of the songs from this filming: "Tears of Gold," "Pearls on a String," and "Oh my god, whatever, etc."

Summerteeth

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »
Nice video for Halloweenhead.