Author Topic: Has WSC jumped the shark?  (Read 3125 times)

boweswana

Re: Has WSC jumped the shark?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 11:10:00 am »
Supposedly on Happy Days when Fonzie jumped the great white shark (multi episode vacation to California where among other things Ralph Malph was surfing on an ironing board) the series had  played out it's appeal.  I think that's crazy talk.  What's more entertaining than the Fonz in a bathing suit and leather jacket jumping a plastic shark on waterskis?  NOTHING!!!!!  So for me the phrase "jumping the shark" means the best is yet to come!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 11:12:00 am »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:

Originally posted by chaz:
  What the hell does jump the shark mean any way?
Jumptheshark.com:

Q. What is jumping the shark?

A. It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on...it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it "Jumping the Shark."  From that moment on, the program will simply never be the same.

The term "jump the shark" was coined by my college roommate for 4 years, Sean J. Connolly, in Ann Arbor, Michigan back in 1985. This web site, book, film, and all other material surrounding shark jumping, are hereby dedicated to "the Colonel."

The aforementioned expression refers to the telltale sign of the demise of Happy Days, our favorite example, when Fonzie actually "jumped the shark." The rest is history.

Jumping the shark applies not only to TV, but also music, film, even everyday life. "Did you see her boyfriend? She definitely jumped the shark." You get the idea.

[/b]
I like it.

Random Citizen

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2004, 05:40:00 pm »
From the WSC website:

The WSC makes it's National Television Debut! (W.S.C.N.T.D.)
 We'll be on Last Call with Carson Daly on NBC!
 Watch at 1:30am November 16-19.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 05:58:00 pm »
  From the WSC website:

[/b]
Corporate suck-ups.

Just kidding...congrats to WSC.

vansmack

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 06:12:00 pm »
Multiple days means house band for Carson's show - not the end of the show headliner.  For those that don't watch the show, the house band plays songs going into and coming out of commercial breaks, while the camera focuses on the Carson Daly Dancers.  Interesting....maybe somebody will cancel so they can play the big gig at the end.

And as far as this argument goes, you have to make it before you can jump the shark, and outside of the greater DC area, I wouldn't say that they have "made it."
27>34