Author Topic: CDBaby grows up?  (Read 1867 times)

beetsnotbeats

CDBaby grows up?
« on: February 02, 2006, 07:23:00 pm »
Tunecore

TuneCore is a music delivery and distribution service that gets music you created (even cover versions) up for sale on iTunes and Rhapsody without asking for your rights or taking any money from the sale or use of your music.

You get 100% of what iTunes and Rhapsody pay. We take nothing, all the money goes to you. You keep ALL the rights and ownership of your music and master recordings. TuneCore is non-exclusive, so you're never locked in.

They charge setup and maintainance fees. Nevertheless, this seems like it might be good for independent indies and their cousins.

It's in beta right now so don't bet the box set!

kurosawa-b/w

Re: CDBaby grows up?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 11:51:00 pm »
That almost sounds too good to be true!

Darth Ed

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 12:20:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
Doesn't it? Wow. DIY bands should be all over this.

Just so we're clear, Tunecore isn't actually affiliated with CDBaby, right? I know the CDBaby owner was talking about getting their catalog onto iTunes at one point, but I gather it never happened.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 01:36:00 am »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
   Just so we're clear, Tunecore isn't actually affiliated with CDBaby, right?
I don't think so. I was thinking conceptually when I called the topic "CDBaby grows up?"

Check out the  list of founders. The first guy co-founded spinART Records and worked with eMusic for several years. Apparently, this ain't no basement gig.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:

Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
Doesn't it? Wow. DIY bands should be all over this.

Just so we're clear, Tunecore isn't actually affiliated with CDBaby, right? I know the CDBaby owner was talking about getting their catalog onto iTunes at one point, but I gather it never happened. [/b]
Artists who use CDBaby have the option of being distributed electronically by a number of places including  iTunes, eMusic, etc.  The catalog is huge and can't be added at once to any give service.

My only reaction to this it will attract the  usual suspects that flock to services like Weedshare, GarageBand, MySpace etc to distribute their music.  It will quickly get overwhelmed with the good, the bad and the ugly as there is no gatekeeper controlling the flow.  

I've tried to wade through archive.org's catalog of Netlabels, but it's like looking for a needle in haystack.  finding antyhing is daunting and fustrating as no control is applied  to how releases are placed in catogories etc.  for instance one of the more interesting finds there is a very Go! Team track .
T.Rex

Darth Ed

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 03:06:00 pm »
I was just coming to post that information, but you stole my thunder, Kosmo. I was talking to one of my friends who sells a couple albums on CDBaby about this and he told me that CDBaby already offered this service. Anyway, the fee arrangments are quite different. Instead of Tunecore's set-up fee and annual maintenance, whereas CDBaby takes a 9% cut of your MP3 sales.

http://www.cdbaby.net/dd