Author Topic: Footie songs  (Read 4797 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: Footie songs
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2003, 12:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  "Here come the good times" by A House was covered by the Irish team for the 2002 World Cup - its a cracking song by a great band

wow, a house. . .i loved them.  i was in a bar a few weeks ago, and someone had played an a house song on the jukebox, but i can't remember the song. . .i think i was the only one singing along to the music, at least from what i could see.
OU812

brennser

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2003, 12:06:00 pm »
i was in a bar a few weeks ago, and someone had played an a house song on the jukebox
jaysus, any bar that has a house on a jukebox deserves my business - which bar was it?

brennser

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2003, 12:08:00 pm »
wow, a house. . .i loved them
Oh, and Dave Couse, the lead singer with A house released a wonderful solo album this year called Genes

Venerable Bede

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2003, 12:12:00 pm »

i was in a bar a few weeks ago, and someone had played an a house song on the jukebox
jaysus, any bar that has a house on a jukebox deserves my business - which bar was it? [/b]
it was mackeys, of all places. . .it's on l street between 19th and 20th. . .not that great of a bar, but it works for getting a drink or 5 after work.
OU812

ratioci nation

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2003, 12:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  it was mackeys, of all places. . .it's on l street between 19th and 20th. . .not that great of a bar, but it works for getting a drink or 5 after work.
mackeys is a fine bar if you can score a booth

mankie

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 10:35:00 am »
  "Here come the good times" by A House was covered by the Irish team for the 2002 World Cup - its a cracking song by a great band

Of course my favorite footie song of all time is from 1988 when after Englands disastrous showing at the Euro Championships the following could be heard emanating from bars the length and breadth of Ireland

Who put the ball in the English net
 Half of, half of
 Half of fucking Europe
 Half of fucking Europe
 Half of fucking Europe
 Half of fucking Europe    :D  
Unfortunately...Ireland was part of the other half!

mankie

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 11:41:00 am »
Originally posted by walkman:
  I need to learn an (English) football song, for a character I'm playing to hum in a certain scene...any suggestions?  Links?  Mankie...help!
If you want to hum something the fans would sing in the Terraces there's a couple.

"You'll never walk alone" by Gerry and the Pacemakers...sang by the Liverpool fans

"I'm forever blowing bubbles" by Michael Jackson   :D   ...actually no idea who actually sang it originally, but the West Ham United fans sing it.

Those are probably the two most famous "fan songs" in England.

Then there's always "land of hope and glory" which is sung in most footie stadiums, especially during European competitions.

If it's an actual recording you're looking for then Markies suggestion of New Order is probably the best..."we're playing for England....ENGERRRLAND!"

Of course there's always Arsenal's famous, "I'm nothing but a French *unt with a bunch of French *unts on the pitch" rendition.

brennser

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 11:48:00 am »
Revisionist history mankie, or simply wishful thinking?

GOALLLL!!

mankie

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 12:14:00 pm »

Revisionist history mankie, or simply wishful thinking?

GOALLLL!! [/b]
Nowt like the luck of the Irish...  ;)  

"The game itself has now entered near legendary status. After that match one anonymous fan said "We won when we should have lost" and it has now entered public conscious that we got lucky."

I'd much rather lose to Ireland than Scotland though!

brennser

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 12:23:00 pm »
"The game itself has now entered near legendary status. After that match one anonymous fan said "We won when we should have lost" and it has now entered public conscious that we got lucky."

yeah as the saying goes we won a game we should have lost (England 1-0), drew a game we should have won (Russia 1-1 featuring Ronnie Whelans wonder goal from a Mick McCarthy throw in) and lost a game we should have drawn (Holland 1-0)

mankie

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2003, 01:22:00 pm »

yeah as the saying goes we won a game we should have lost (England 1-0), drew a game we should have won (Russia 1-1 featuring Ronnie Whelans wonder goal from a Mick McCarthy throw in) and lost a game we should have drawn (Holland 1-0) [/b]
There seems to be a pattern here.

World Cup 2002. Ireland v Spain, another one you lost that you should've won...yer feckin eejits!

brennser

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2003, 01:48:00 pm »
Thanks mankie - I was just about getting over that and you go and bring it up again -

if I EVER see Ian Harte I'll kill the plonker  :mad:  

and the most frustrating thing it you COULD TELL even on the telly before he took it that he didn't have the bottle

vansmack

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2003, 03:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  World Cup 2002. Ireland v Spain, another one you lost that you should've won...yer feckin eejits!
You bastard!!!!!  

How do you go there?

Alright, how do the names Ronaldino and Diego Simeone sound to you?  Maradona anyone?
27>34