Author Topic: Outrageous Cherry  (Read 2937 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Outrageous Cherry
« on: May 29, 2003, 10:33:00 am »
A little sleep at the wheel on this one...  Partly because it's the same night as Thivery Corporation and the same week as Brendan Benson, Polyphonic Spree and Ash.  Can't they spread these thing out a bit better   :roll:  

For those of you who like your Detroit Rock with a bit of psychedelic feel besure to check out Outrageous Cherry at the Black Cat on June 9th.  Haven't heard the newer records but was mighty impressed with past output.  

Matt Smith also produced The Go, Slumber Party and His Name is Alive
T.Rex

lily1

Re: Outrageous Cherry
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 10:43:00 am »
not to mention 3 days of last train home at iota too. so that's a concert friday, saturday, sunday if you're checking out gemma hayes at iota, monday, off tuesday, and then wednesday! woo! now that's a full week. hell, its not even a week! 5 days!

Bags

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 12:02:00 pm »
It seems like this is the case more often than not these days.  It's always three or four shows in a week.  

Kosmo, are you going to all of those shows?  (Brendan Benson is a MUST, and I'm hitting the Fleshtones at Iota Saturday and The Raveonnettes/The Sounds on thursday, mostly for The Sounds).  Hence, I missed Longwave this week...

But the other shows you mentioned I'm less familiar with....  Would love recommendations (with a *brief* description?).

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 12:27:00 pm »
Fleshtones this Saturday is a MUST!! Learn garage from the kings this Saturday at IOTA!!! The new album "Do You Swing?" is their most solid in years!! One of the most fun live bands you're liable to see......

SPARX

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 12:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:

For those of you who like your Detroit Rock with a bit of psychedelic feel besure to check out Outrageous Cherry at the Black Cat on June 9th.  Haven't heard the newer records but was mighty impressed with past output.  

ve
I just got the newest one and in my opinion,it's their best yet.See You Next Time is an instant classic.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 12:49:00 pm »
besides my little house concert show on the 6th, Brendan Benson and Ash are the must sees.  it will be the 7th time seeing Brendan and his very talented Wellfed Boys.  

other interesting shows included a rolling stones/cars tribute show at the Ottobar tomorrow.  i would love to see the fleshtones, not sure if i can swing it though.  

for you baltimore garage fans, the woggles are playing the tattoo on june 1st.

on sunday june 8th aussie singer/songwriter and Not Lame recording artist is playing at The Tattoo with Reckless Kelly.  

"See You Next Time" was the album i couldn't remember the title of.
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 01:00:00 pm »
Saw the Fleshtones at Iota last fall, on a weeknight -- there was no one there!  I completely got to hang with the band before and after the show.  It was just amazing.  

I'm dreading a little a packed house this Sat.  Iota is packed on any Saturday just 'cuz it's Saturday.  Hope it's bearable.

Any suggestions on when I should show up with my Leather Kings in tow??   ;)

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 01:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  Saw the Fleshtones at Iota last fall, on a weeknight -- there was no one there!  I completely got to hang with the band before and after the show.  It was just amazing.  

I'm dreading a little a packed house this Sat.  Iota is packed on any Saturday just 'cuz it's Saturday.  Hope it's bearable.

Any suggestions on when I should show up with my Leather Kings in tow??    ;)  
> I would get there a little on the early side......Dinner there is even an option.....food is not bad at all.....get ready for THE SUPER ROCK!!

Bags

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 01:05:00 pm »
Kosmo, you are a fount of knowledge.  I just got into Brendan Benson in the last few months (have two albums), so this will be my first show.  Damn, seven shows!!  Color me impressed.

And I looked up Ash online after your initial post -- I am *so* there.  Just convinced a friend he has to be there to...  That show won't sell out, will it?

I just adore Not Lame Records....my oh my, there's so much to learn from the boards!!

Thanks...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 01:22:00 pm »
the ash show has several forum regulars excited and i was wondering the same thing about it selling out...  i totally dig ash newest and early stuff and it will great to see them without a bunch of lame saves the day fans standing around.  

his record came out last year around the time the white stripes were touring.  saw them twice with them, twice headlining at fletcher's and black cat backstage, in nyc with idlewild at cmj and once because i happened to be in portland as same time as them.

brendan returned to detroit to finish Lapaco, he then recruited members from two of my fav detroit bands, the mood elevator and atomic numbers, to support him on the live shows.  it's ironic that the detroit music scene exploded after i escaped from there in 96.  the mood elevator have a new record in the works.  they are now basically the wellfed boys with the backsinger out front.
T.Rex

SPARX

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 02:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:

"See You Next Time" was the album i couldn't remember the title of.
Actually the new album title is Supernatural Equinox.The closing track is See you next time,and it's a beaut!