Author Topic: Tsar  (Read 2117 times)

Disaffection

• http://www.mp3.com/disaffection
Tsar
« on: June 03, 2003, 12:18:00 pm »
Does anyone know what happened to the LA-power pop band Tsar? (ie did they break up or are they still playing).  Cant find any info online.  They opened for Eve 6 at 930 back in March 2001, but i havent heard of them since.

ggw

Re: Tsar
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 12:41:00 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 01:01:00 pm »
didn't tsar change their name to ok go?  oh wait thats not right...  i remember now tsar was the 2001 version of ok go.  a young photogenic band with a slickly produced record.  done so to hide the fact that the songs weren't all that good to begin with.  as a friend once said in regard to tsar, the album sounds great.  but beyond that very little to be excited about.  

check out the $1 bin at your favorite record store tsar shouldn't be to hard to find.
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 02:45:00 pm »
Kosmo, so much harshness!  I love Tsar, I think Teen Wizards is a great song.  It's sweet power poppie stuff, but there's a place for that.  I reserve Tsar and Super Deluxe for those times when I need a boost of sunshine up my bum.

Am I in the doghouse 'cuz I like Ok Go too?

I can defend myself in one way -- had no idea *either* band was photogenic.  I'm not keeping up with my Q reading!!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 03:21:00 pm »
no need to feel like your in the doghouse... my cynical views on tsar and ok go are based on the fact that they are typical major label products.  take talented, easy on the eyes and young musicians.  put them in the studio with a expensive producer and create a slick great sonically sounding record.  in the case of ok go it's the just so layered with guitars, keyboards and vocals, in order to hide the fact that the songs weren't that great to begin with.  yeah great sounding but doing nothing for the soul.

both bands were toured extensively to gain maximum exposure... and will be both forgotten by thier labels just about the time for the second record to come out.

i guess wish major labels would get out of the cycle of only supporting young bands who are skinny ahd have squiffy hair and finding a why to market bands like the Cynics.  of course that wont ever happen because the teenage fan doesn't want to see any group that looks like their dad.
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 03:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  i guess wish major labels would get out of the cycle of only supporting young bands who are skinny ahd have squiffy hair and finding a why to market bands like the Cynics.  of course that wont ever happen because the teenage fan doesn't want to see any group that looks like their dad.
Oh my -- so sad to think of all those young minds missing out on Soundtrack of our Lives!!    :cool: