Author Topic: Italy recommendations  (Read 7591 times)

Re: Italy recommendations
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2007, 11:58:00 am »
I wonder when I should start my Belgium/South of France/Paris with a baby thread...

Anybody have any advice/tips on buying hotel rooms on Priceline's Name Your Own Price program?

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »
Yes, Sorrento is a lovely place to stay, using it as a base for Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. Just being in the Naples train station made me certain that my decision to stay in Sorrento was the wise choice.

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  Hoya, we had to stay in Naples for Pompeii and the Archaelogical Museum. I would have preferred Sorrento now that I think about it. I think Naples is just dirty and abandoned, but it doesn't feel unsafe like the bad part of Baltimore City. Florence was nightmare-ish when you have a car (don't even try!!)

Venerable Bede

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »
i agree with bearman and others- american italian food is nothing compared to what you get in italy.  there's a reason why chefs like mario batali go to italy to learn, and not the other way around.  so sorry you couldn't get meatballs with your spaghetti.  

my week in italy was a culinary awakening (especially in florence- i didn't have one bad meal). . .i had no idea that pasta wasn't supposed to slathered in sauce, that simple ingredients go a long way. . .that pizza's weren't all about crusts and how much cheese and pepperoni one can pile onto the pie. . .
OU812

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »
speaking of american italian food, THIS never fails to amaze me ... i reference it all the time when i go on misanthropic rants
(o|o)

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »
Believe it or not, sometimes the chains really are better than your local shithole.

Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  speaking of american italian food, THIS never fails to amaze me ... i reference it all the time when i go on misanthropic rants