Author Topic: what a cocksucker.........  (Read 2508 times)

tinygee

TomJaworski

Re: what a cocksucker.........
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »
i think "douche-bag" is a more accurate moniker...

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »
Smells like the lead singer self-indulgent sophomore effort to me.  I thought Bono told him to avoid making the "interesting" second album?
27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »
HA!

Shadrach

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 02:34:00 pm »
I'm not a musician, but you can bet that if I was I'd like to feel the exact same way about what I was recording. He says that he admits it sounds cocky, but that he's just so excited about how it sounds.

My take: Good for him.

Fico

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 03:23:00 pm »
He's just taking a page from Noel Gallagher..it's fine..lets discuss the real issue: the OC's turnaround following Johnny's death...

vansmack

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 05:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:
  lets discuss the real issue: the OC's turnaround following Johnny's death...
Anna before Alex?  Blasphemy!
27>34

thingsfallapart

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 08:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shadrach:
  I'm not a musician, but you can bet that if I was I'd like to feel the exact same way about what I was recording. He says that he admits it sounds cocky, but that he's just so excited about how it sounds.

I would feel the same way if the band weren't the Killers, and had some sort of solid catalogue to make that statement based upon.  But I also think it's great for musicians to be ambitious like that.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 10:37:00 am »

I was thinking the same thing...that's the way you certainly should feel while recording an album.  That said, I'm not sure I'd make such proclamations to the press, but that's just me.   ;)

What I did find annoying was this bit:

I fell in love with The Smiths and the Pet Shop Boys when I was 12 years old, and I never thought that could happen again.

"But after meeting a lot of those people, who were my heroes and idols, and seeing them onstage, something changed. We'd drawn large crowds, and it felt like we were getting to the same sort of place, and it made me feel like I couldn't look at those people in the same light anymore."
HUH?  He goes on to talk about his new found love for Bruce Springsteen, which is completely cool, but I didn't like the whole concept expressed above.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 01:49:00 pm »
When they pull the ol' Springsteen -worship trick you know it's all over.

It's the same as when the government mentions "Hearts & Minds" to describe how well they are doing at winning a war.

Chromie

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 02:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by thingsfallapart:

I would feel the same way if the band weren't the Killers, and had some sort of solid catalogue to make that statement based upon.  But I also think it's great for musicians to be ambitious like that. [/b]
I think if you are going to say that, in your opinion, you are making the best music that's been made in the past 20 years you should at least know what has been made in the last 20 years. This guy just now found out about Springsteen?!?!? Come on man.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 02:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Monad:

Originally posted by thingsfallapart:

I would feel the same way if the band weren't the Killers, and had some sort of solid catalogue to make that statement based upon.  But I also think it's great for musicians to be ambitious like that. [/b]
I think if you are going to say that, in your opinion, you are making the best music that's been made in the past 20 years you should at least know what has been made in the last 20 years. This guy just now found out about Springsteen?!?!? Come on man. [/b]
True, although most of Springsteen's best work came out more like 30 years ago.  The Smiths, however, were just coming into their prime 20 years ago...

Mobius

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 04:02:00 pm »
I think he's basically saying that trying to rip off elements of the Smiths and Pet Shop Boys can only get you so far commercially, and he's setting his sights on the arena-stadium-anthem sphere . . . and that means figuring out how to rip off / take elements from Springsteen and, presumably U2.

He's clearly a pretty sharp guy.  Can write a solid song - e.g. Mr. Brightside - and was smart enough to surround himself with Alan Moulder and Flood.  That was simply a magic move.  Imagine what the Strokes could have done if they thought of that first.

I'm confident the album will be enjoyable.  BUT I think they'd have trouble making a "best album of the past 20 years."  I don't think they can create anything with enough DEPTH to qualify.  The band has no charisma that resonates with anyone other than the younger members of the "fairer sex."  I can't imagine them having anything meaningful to say . . "I got soul but I'm not a soldier" - catchy as hell but certifiably retarded.

Best albums of the past 20 years - e.g. Achtung Baby, OK Computer to name a few (more popular ones) - resonate and have depth.  The next Killers album I'm sure will have high style . . . but how much substance are those guys capable of?

Chromie

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 05:06:00 pm »
The bottom line is that you don't say something stupid like that, at least about yourself. You don't undermind the hundreds of bands that have been putting out music in the last 20 years. Especially when it is totally subjective. I think he is just young and doesn't get it.

I don't know why I even care about this.