Author Topic: Interview with Sonic Youth...  (Read 1704 times)

redsock

Interview with Sonic Youth...
« on: November 10, 2004, 03:50:00 pm »
Not sure of all the details, but G-Town is hosting an event where a New Yorker music critic (forget his name) inrerviews Sonic Youth. Next saturday. I'd have mentioned it sooner, but wanted to get tickets myself first  :)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Interview with Sonic Youth...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 03:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Not sure of all the details, but G-Town is hosting an event where a New Yorker music critic (forget his name) inrerviews Sonic Youth. Next saturday. I'd have mentioned it sooner, but wanted to get tickets myself first   :)  
very cool ... although strange seeing that georgetown is not exactly, uh, indie rock (think bon jovi instead), and has no real journalism program to speak of, just a couple of scattered classes.

http://www.newyorkercollegetour.com/gu.cfm
(o|o)

Jaguär

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 07:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  very cool ... although strange seeing that georgetown is not exactly, uh, indie rock (think bon jovi instead), and has no real journalism program to speak of, just a couple of scattered classes.
Very sad because they use to be the epitome of Indie Rock years ago, except it was called Progressive or Underground back then, among other edgie genres. Rotten will back me up on this.   ;)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 10:50:00 pm »
heh, I hate to namedrop, but what's Thurston Moore's other project besides Sonic Youth?  Whatever they're called I saw them and him in some little hole-in-the-wall club on the Lower East Side in NY when I was staying up there for a while last summer.  This cool chickie I know up there dragged me to this place, a sweat-drenched basement that could fit no more than 20 people comfortably, and I was like two inches from the stage and had to keep leaning back so his guitar, a weird contraption with two bodies instead of a body and a head (shaped like a barbell) woulddn't smack me in the face.  I didn't even know what I was seeing, because she hadn't told me, except I knew I was watching something insane and amazing.  Later she revealed all.  I took digital photos and if I ever figure out where I uploaded them, I will post.  Hugs.
_\|/_

thirsty moore

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 11:42:00 pm »
It could be anything.  The guy plays with a lot of different people.  That may have been a one off gig.   I'm sure it was noisy!

Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  heh, I hate to namedrop, but what's Thurston Moore's other project besides Sonic Youth?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 12:17:00 am »
did you see his LP collection in Spin a couple months ago?

that's one hell of a basement.
(o|o)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 03:49:00 am »
my eardrums were ringing for days!
_\|/_

thirsty moore

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 01:43:00 pm »
Yeh, at first I thought it was a record store the way he had them arranged.  Avant-classical in this section, obscure 45's over here.  

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  did you see his LP collection in Spin a couple months ago?

that's one hell of a basement.