Author Topic: TourVote  (Read 1776 times)

snailhook

TourVote
« on: February 10, 2005, 05:12:00 pm »
TourVote Brings Democracy to Live Music
 Army of Fans Gets ??Army of Me?

BALTIMORE, MD (February 7, 2005) ?? When the band Army Of Me takes the stage at Washington D.C.??s venerable music venue The Black Cat on Friday February 11, they will be secure in the knowledge that at least a portion of the attending audience had proactively requested the show.

Both the band and the venue are taking advantage of a unique, new ??request line? that empowers music fans to communicate their live music wishes not only to the musical artists they want see in concert but also to the venues and promoters that put shows on stage.

Rather than simply waiting and hoping that local music venues and promoters will book shows by the musical artists they want to see, some consumers are registering their requests through a growing number of web sites ?? collectively called The TourVote Network ?? run by live music venues, promoters, radio stations, entertainment publications, and the artists themselves.

The requests are funneled to the artists and to live entertainment buyers who want to gain direct insight into the deepest desires of concert-goers.

??The people have spoken. DC loves Army of Me. That's cool because we love DC,? said Army Of Me lead singer Vince Scheuerman. ??TourVote is great ?? it gives the fans a voice. Let them be heard.? Army Of Me currently has the distinction of being the most-requested indie band in the DC Metro area, according to the TourVote system. A much larger number of fans have requested live shows by Army of Me in other cities around the US, fueling the band's hopes for breaking out into a
 wider market.

The TourVote Network is the brainchild of Demand ID Systems, a Baltimore startup company testing their novel supply-and-demand matching system locally before taking it to the national stage. ??Much like with any other product, live shows will be more successful if they are produced based on a clear picture of what the
 market wants,? points out Ben Cruz, co-founder of
 Demand ID. ??I??d be hard pressed to think of a company that made a mistake by asking prospective buyers what they wanted. And I??ve never met a consumer who didn??t think well of those that responded by delivering exactly that.?

The TourVote live music request line is available free to web sites wanting to give their visitors a voice in local, live music under the site??s own brand. Site owners have online access to reports detailing the votes placed from their pages. Voting music fans receive a co-branded ??TourAlert? by email when the act
 they voted for is scheduled to appear locally.

"I'm always happy to find new ways to tell people
 about our shows, especially when I know it's an event that they are interested in," said Dante Ferrando, talent buyer for The Black Cat, an 800-capacity venue. "It's hard to get good information to help determine what a band will draw. CD sales are just not as good a gauge as they used to be, so I find any extra tools
 incredibly helpful". More than a thousand people have placed requests for the shows they want to see using TourVote right from the club??s web site.

The company??s forthcoming DemandIntell service enables live music venues and promoters to see comparative levels of local demand for shows by any artist in the database and to uncover opportunities to stage shows they might never have considered otherwise. "The demand for live shows by an increasing number of artists is greater than ever before as millions of
 consumers discover new music on the internet,? points out Jay Bartlett, Vice President at Demand ID. ??Until now, the live music industry has had no means to take advantage of that market growth."

"TourVote and the DemandIntell service promise to be a boon to all participants in the music industry ?? artists can tour more profitably; venues and promoters increase audience attendance with reduced expense; A&R and talent agents can spot rising talent at a grassroots level; and more recorded music is sold,? said Carl Freed, a leading national concert promoter. ??The revolution begins with web sites that believe that the key to sustained success on the
 internet lies in delivering the power of community ?? that their site visitors will delight in having a collective voice in shaping their own local music scene.?

About Demand ID Systems (www.demandid.com) ?? Demand ID Systems provides market intelligence and audience acquisition services for the live entertainment industry. The company??s mission is to bring Choice, Control and Convenience to consumers of live entertainment and greater profitability to all players in the live entertainment industry.

ratioci nation

Re: TourVote
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 05:20:00 pm »
if I remember correctly, Liberte from here on the board is involved with this

ggw

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 05:22:00 pm »
Anyone have an opinion on Army of Me?

ratioci nation

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 05:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw?:
cant stand them, going to try and miss them tomorrow

well maybe that is too strong of a reaction, but I dont care for them, just sound like radio rock

Venerable Bede

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 05:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw?:
didn't they open for mclusky at the black cat??  i seem to remember a certain member of this board very taken with the lead singer.
OU812

BookerT

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 05:48:00 pm »
in the spirit of today's earlier hilarity, i went back to find out exactly what i said about army of me many months ago.

i said: "army of me was one of the worst bands i've seen in years. it was like i was back in 1996 and they were one of those 4,000 over-stylized completely deriviative "alternative" bands that got major label deals and effectively killed "good alternative" and led us into the woodstock '99 generation. or something like that. in any case, just a terrible band."

i was agreed with.
 kurosawa-b/w said: "First of all, Army of Me was indeed torture. Their lyrics grow more tedious every time I see them. I will go to great lengths to avoid them in the future."

so yeah. very crappy.

ggw

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 05:55:00 pm »
But what did Markie think?  He's the consensus-maker.

Originally posted by BookerT:
  in the spirit of today's earlier hilarity, i went back to find out exactly what i said about army of me many months ago.

i said: "army of me was one of the worst bands i've seen in years. it was like i was back in 1996 and they were one of those 4,000 over-stylized completely deriviative "alternative" bands that got major label deals and effectively killed "good alternative" and led us into the woodstock '99 generation. or something like that. in any case, just a terrible band."

i was agreed with.
 kurosawa-b/w said: "First of all, Army of Me was indeed torture. Their lyrics grow more tedious every time I see them. I will go to great lengths to avoid them in the future."

so yeah. very crappy.

Bags

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 06:00:00 pm »
I got this email from Tour Vote on Wednesday...I thought it was fantastic, and I told them so.  Very cool....is someone actually listening?

Subject:  Your Vote to See The Wrens Live

Dear The Wrens fan,

Thanks for voting on blackcatdc to bring The Wrens to your area. We have great news: The Wrens will be appearing live near you! Also appearing will be Army Of Me and The Upwelling.  Here are the details:

Venue:
  Black Cat

Date:
  February 11, 2005

Time:
  9:30 PM

Price:
  $10.00

Advance tickets are available from TicketMaster or the Black Cat box office 8:00 PM - Midnight. Day-of-show tickets (if available) will be sold at the box office after the doors open.
 Enjoy the show!

TourVote Staff

poorlulu

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 06:22:00 pm »
i thought that army of me were perttty

talentless...........but perrrrrrrrrrrty

may he never lose the jacket..............

godsshoeshine

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 06:55:00 pm »
i've voted about 50 times to bring the karl hendricks trio to the black cat, but to no avail. i guess velvet might be a better bet or something
o/\o

snailhook

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 08:20:00 pm »
dude, you want karl hendricks in dc? i'll book 'em at the warehouse. seriously.

i didn't know they were still around. i got love in my heart for pittsburgh bands.

Bartelby

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 08:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by poorlulu:
  i thought that army of me were perttty

talentless...........but perrrrrrrrrrrty

may he never lose the jacket..............
I agree:  Will we be fighting over that dood? Hmmm; NOPE. He's yours - and he still wears that jacket (The Bravery wears some great jackets too!)

I heard AoM again a few weeks ago, and thought they were pretty good.  Maybe a second "listen" would be fair?  Or, not:  amerika is a grate country that way...but where did all those "votes" come from?  Sorority sisters from Virginia (with mullets)?

Bags

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 11:02:00 pm »
My only worry about this service is hardcore street teaming -- when bands get their loyal fans to vote again and again and again.  Hope it ends up being a robust, helpful mechanism to determine market desires.

Liberte

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 01:38:00 am »
Originally posted by ratioci nation:
  if I remember correctly, Liberte from here on the board is involved with this
Yup.  I confess to being one of the co-founders.

Liberte

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 02:02:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  i've voted about 50 times to bring the karl hendricks trio to the black cat, but to no avail. i guess velvet might be a better bet or something
First of all, only the most recent vote by a single individual for a given band really "counts."  We use some fairly robust de-duping techniques to filter out both purposeful and accidental ballot-box stuffing.  

(Bags, in response to your concern, we are *especially* good at picking off street team efforts that go beyond the one person/one vote principle.  If a street team wants to get out the vote legitimately, we don't discourage it.  Rather, we'd like to see *any* band that's serious about building a career put the TourVote button on their site--it is free for any host site--and encourage their fans to vote.  It will all even out in the end, especially since the votes from independent fans at bigger partner sites vastly outnumber those street-team-driven votes.)

As far as which site to vote at--don't worry too much about it.  Only Dante gets to see the (anonymized) list of TourVotes cast from the Black Cat site, but we will make the aggregate data available to any talent buyer who joins our beta test program (free for now, but we'll charge for it later).  We have a similar program to feed own-site and/or aggregate data to participating musical artists who put the vote button on their sites.  So in the long run, the data to facilitate supply/demand matching will be available to anyone who really wants to use it, regardless of where you the fan happened to vote from.

I don't want to abuse the 9:30 Club's hospitality with too much plugging of TourVote on their forum, but I will be happy to answer PMs on any related topic or questions of general interest in this thread.