Author Topic: Deadboy & The Elephantmen  (Read 1636 times)

ggw

Deadboy & The Elephantmen
« on: February 09, 2006, 11:23:00 am »
Anyone going to see them at iota tonight?

http://www.deadboyandtheelephantmen.com/

http://www.fatpossum.com/press/dbeRS.JPG

I'm not sure I'll make it.

mrpee

Re: Deadboy & The Elephantmen
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 12:50:00 pm »
I'll be there, though not strictly as a fan. Have to say, though, that their latest has grown on me over the past couple weeks. Riggs has a way with a twisted blooze phrase. Sure to be wrongly pegged as a 'hipper' alternative to Meg/Jack, but there's alot more going on than just a boy-girl, drum-guitar thing. Riggs' slude-metal background, for one.

mrpee

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 12:52:00 pm »
or sludge-metal, as some call it  :p

BookerT

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 01:35:00 pm »
i'll be there, and i'm not expecting much company.

snailhook

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »
i'd go if i didn't have to manage a doom metal show at the warehouse tonight. acid bath was a great new orleans sludge band...kinda funny that deadboy plays the iota now.

Taster

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 01:01:00 pm »
How was the show?

BookerT

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 01:48:00 pm »
it was pretty good. dax is a great wailer and tessie pounds the holy hell out of her drums and is just ridiculously hot. i wasn't prepared for that. she's the star of that band, cuz when she joins him on vocals, that's when it gets really good. their quiet stuff is just as strong as the louder stuff, i'd say.

there was definitely a contingent of acid bath fans there -- they were pretty easy to spot. there was also a contingent of what seemed like post-frat boys reminiscing about candlebox, sponge and 4 non blondes. that was pretty hilarious.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 01:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
 ...there was also a contingent of what seemed like post-frat boys reminiscing about candlebox, sponge and 4 non blondes. that was pretty hilarious.
Sounds pathetic!

mrpee

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 02:43:00 pm »
I'd say BookerT nailed it. Didn't see the first band, were they some kind of Blur tribute or something? Parklife? I got there when they were taking down their gear and it seemed to take 'em forever, like they were the headliners or something. Anyway, I happen to know there was someone from the Post there, writing a review of the show, so I guess there's that to look for...