Author Topic: Video Vault  (Read 1607 times)

bellenseb

Video Vault
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:32:00 am »
Anyone frequent Video Vault in Alexandria?

I hadn't been in years, since they moved from the old row house on Washington to an office building basement one block over on Columbus.

An amazing place, stuffed to the gills with all the latest indie, foreign, cult and oddball stuff.

They certainly had a lot of stuff you can't find on Netflix or easily elsewhere... very offbeat stuff from small labels, the "Cult" room. But I can't help but think the Netflix/Ebay/Tivo culture is really cutting into their margins. It's really easy to get the foreign/indie/Criterion stuff now via Netflix, and the oddball stuff on Ebay, when in the past they were pretty much it.

Made me wistful for the days when a place like this was REALLY unique - a destination/archive that held stuff you really might not find/see elsewhere.

Anyway, the folks at Video Vault are doing a great job and I recommend you pay them a visit...

Dr. Anton Phibes

Re: Video Vault
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 11:46:00 am »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Anyone frequent Video Vault in Alexandria?

I hadn't been in years, since they moved from the old row house on Washington to an office building basement one block over on Columbus.

An amazing place, stuffed to the gills with all the latest indie, foreign, cult and oddball stuff.

They certainly had a lot of stuff you can't find on Netflix or easily elsewhere... very offbeat stuff from small labels, the "Cult" room. But I can't help but think the Netflix/Ebay/Tivo culture is really cutting into their margins. It's really easy to get the foreign/indie/Criterion stuff now via Netflix, and the oddball stuff on Ebay, when in the past they were pretty much it.

Made me wistful for the days when a place like this was REALLY unique - a destination/archive that held stuff you really might not find/see elsewhere.

Anyway, the folks at Video Vault are doing a great job and I recommend you pay them a visit...
>>I work not far from the new location, down close to the River in Oldtown.....I need to get by more often......the selection is great and it always has been.....It's the place to go for the eclectic viewer,hands down.....I go by the store every morning on the way in......now I'm motivated to stop in more often.....thanks!

walkonby

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »
ebay is the new walmart.  it shuts down the competition and keeps getting larger and stronger, like an eyeball of power staring down our shifts of forgetting the past.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 03:21:00 pm »
Ebay is a good thing, Walmart is not.

Originally posted by walkonby:
  ebay is the new walmart.  it shuts down the competition and keeps getting larger and stronger, like an eyeball of power staring down our shifts of forgetting the past.

J'Mal

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 03:24:00 pm »
Been a loyal video vaulter for years...

The internet has a hard time replacing this kind of experience.  Can't really browse on line that easily for such an eclectic, awesome collection.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 03:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by J'Mal:
  Been a loyal video vaulter for years...

The internet has a hard time replacing this kind of experience.  Can't really browse on line that easily for such an eclectic, awesome collection.
J'Mal

What's up?? Someone was on here asking questions about XM recently and they couldn't reach you. The consensus was that you would have the answers...exactly correct on the Vault by the way,nothing like walking around picking up the box and reading about the film....

J'Mal

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 04:36:00 pm »
I don't read this website every day.  Sometimes I go weeks without it.  Sorry.... but if anyone needs a hold of me now, I'm around via PM

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 05:07:00 pm »
Anyone remember the store they had right off M street in gtown?

I used to go to the one in old towne, but just to far out of the way.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 09:54:00 am »
Video Vault is awesome.  If I lived closer I'd go there all the time, even for ordinary films.  The selection is huge, the staff are tapeheads who are really into what they do, and very knowledgeable and will recommend things you never thought of.  It's the kind of service the Internet will never be able to replicate.

http://www.alex.to/doomlink
_\|/_