Author Topic: Does the Black Cat start on time?  (Read 2024 times)

Vas Deferens

Does the Black Cat start on time?
« on: April 12, 2006, 07:21:00 pm »
Forgot to ask earlier - If the time says 8:30 pm, does the opening band start right at this time?
(_|_)

Bags

Re: Does the Black Cat start on time?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 07:27:00 pm »
You're funny, Joe!

Okay, here's the deal on the Black Cat.  The time listed is when the doors open (though there's a bar downstairs that you can go to first, opens at 8:00 on weekdays).

Rule of thumb for BC is that there's half an hour until the first band goes on, then you can generally count on an hour between bands.  For instance:

8:30 doors open
 9:00 first opening band
 10:00 second opening band
 11:00 headlining band

If anything, they may be running late based on that 'rule of thumb' schedule.  But if I wanted to see a headliner, I'd be sure to be at the club about 10:45 if there are two bands on before them.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 08:00:00 pm »
Thanks very much! See you all at Wolf Parade tonite!
(_|_)

laurat

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 08:20:00 pm »
the BC site says one of the openers cancelled for tonight's show. not sure what this does for times, but you might want to be there earlier than the norm.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 02:49:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  You're funny, Joe!

Okay, here's the deal on the Black Cat.  The time listed is when the doors open (though there's a bar downstairs that you can go to first, opens at 8:00 on weekdays).

Rule of thumb for BC is that there's half an hour until the first band goes on, then you can generally count on an hour between bands.  For instance:

If anything, they may be running late based on that 'rule of thumb' schedule.  But if I wanted to see a headliner, I'd be sure to be at the club about 10:45 if there are two bands on before them.
really depends on who is playing and what schedule everyone's on though...i've been at shows there with 3 bands where band # 1 hasn't gone on till 10:30...always messes up my damn ride home...

Bags

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 09:49:00 am »
Originally posted by you be betty:

Originally posted by Bags:
  You're funny, Joe!

really depends on who is playing and what schedule everyone's on though...i've been at shows there with 3 bands where band # 1 hasn't gone on till 10:30...always messes up my damn ride home... [/b]
With an 8:30 door time?!?  I've been to a lot of shows at the Cat, never had it run that late (sounds like a Velvet Lounge schedule to me!).

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 10:21:00 am »
  really depends on who is playing and what schedule everyone's on though...i've been at shows there with 3 bands where band # 1 hasn't gone on till 10:30...always messes up my damn ride home...
Possibly a weekend?  Weekend doortimes are often 9:30, with a 10pm start time. It's certainly possible you were at a show with a half-hour delay.

Bags' schedule (adjusting for different doortimes) seems right to me.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 10:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Possibly a weekend?  Weekend doortimes are often 9:30, with a 10pm start time. It's certainly possible you were at a show with a half-hour delay.

Bags' schedule (adjusting for different doortimes) seems right to me. [/b]
I was actually on a schedule told by the singer in the headlining band that he was going on at 11:30.  I interpreted that as 12 still, but when the first of three started at 10:30 I kind of freaked.
 But yeah...sometimes they are punctual, sometimes they are not.  I've been out of there close to 2 before.  It just depends on who it is.