Author Topic: Adam Franklin of Swervedriver - Velvet Lounge  (Read 3900 times)

Jaguär

Adam Franklin of Swervedriver - Velvet Lounge
« on: November 12, 2003, 03:58:00 pm »
Wondering who all may be going tonight (Wed) to see this show? Since Andrew WK has been thrown into the mix in Baltimore, I've decided to instead go to the DC show.

From reports I've read, the set is full of a lot of Toshack Highway music but with some Swervedriver songs thrown in for good measure. Also, if you show enough enthusiasm, he's willing to do a couple encores. That's up to you. More of the Swervedriver songs will probably be in the encores, so cheer him on!

BTW, I know the times at the Velvet are very lax but, generally, what time does the show usually start there? Not sure when to show up and I don't feel like drinking all night.

BlueEyedAndDangerous

Re: Adam Franklin of Swervedriver - Velvet Lounge
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 04:15:00 pm »
I am going tonight. Not sure what the show times are like at the Velvet Lounge. I was wondering myself.

BTW: Have you heard the Ejector Seat Reservation album? That's my favorite Swervedriver album.

Jaguär

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 04:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by BlueEyedAndDangerous:
  BTW: Have you heard the Ejector Seat Reservation album? That's my favorite Swervedriver album.
Yes, and I love it. My favorite is Mezcal Head with my favorite song being Never Lose That Feeling/Never Learn with my 2nd favorite on the album being Duress.

The Raise album is pretty good too. Heck, and 99th Dream.

BlueEyedAndDangerous

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 04:39:00 pm »
Good point.

Hopefully someone will clime in with a set time prediction.

ratioci nation

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 04:40:00 pm »
10:30

I have no idea, but I doubt anybody at the velvet lounge does either, so pick any number

BlueEyedAndDangerous

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 04:40:00 pm »
Oh, wait. Another question: Is your name taken from the "Son of" song on Ejector Seat?

markie

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 04:41:00 pm »

Hopefully someone will clime in with a set time prediction.
I feel apathy may prevent me from going..... Anyone found any online Mp3s to inspire me?

There are no set times at the velvet lounge. The last band normally goes on between 11 and 12, but it varies wildly.

Jaguär

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 05:37:00 pm »
  Oh, wait. Another question: Is your name taken from the "Son of" song on Ejector Seat?
No, but that could be my cat.    :D   He's a real Momma's boy.

Many, many years ago a friend wanted to give me a nickname and finally was inspired by the T-Rex song. It sort of sounds a little like my real name. Naturally, the Swervedriver song perked up my attention. Honestly though, I prefer the song Son of Mustang Ford.

Go, Markie! In your mind, combine Ride, Phaser, a pinch of Lupine Howl, early Oasis without the prick on vocals, with a laid back dose of settling down a little in age; hence the Toshack Highway. Toshack Highway in Adam's later band.

Jaguär

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 05:56:00 pm »
Here are some Amazon Toshack Highway sound clips.

markie

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 06:07:00 pm »
Thanks Jag.....

I am still undecided. Jadetree does not want to go and poorlulu didnt call me back. I am feeling a bit (a)pathetic too.

Jaguär

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2003, 06:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by markie:
  Thanks Jag.....

I am still undecided. Jadetree does not want to go and poorlulu didnt call me back. I am feeling a bit (a)pathetic too.
Poo on them.

I'll be there, along with a number of other people I've never met.

Bags

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 04:50:00 pm »
Hey, how was this show?

Jaguär

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 05:14:00 pm »
Sort of mixed. They were good but the crowd was pretty lame. No, they were very lame! It's not that they didn't appreciate the music, because they did but I've never seen such a quiet and laid back group of people in my life. In fact, I've seen much more enthusiasm at the symphony! Due to that, we got no encores. Can't say that I blame him either. They got 3 in Atlanta! According to Adam, there were a few fuck-ups, but I couldn't pick them out.

The show at The Ottobar was smoother and the sound was better but most of the AWK fans didn't really appreciate him, as would be expected. His music is too cerebral for their party mentality. The set was shorter too, which was a disappointment but still a nice set. I know he preferred The Ottobar over the Velvet Lounge but wasn't too happy with what was done with throwing AWK into the mix. He was cool with the promotors and seems to know how to play the game but understood that it wasn't a good move. I think he'd like to play The Ottobar again so hopefully, may be back again in the Spring, or whenever everyone sees fit.

On my wishlist -
 Add the songs:</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Never Lose That Feeling/Never Learn</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Duress</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Last Train To Satansville</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Bring Me The Head Of The Fortune Teller</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">....in that order of preferences.

(My very favorites!)

Bags

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2003, 05:16:00 pm »
Ah, so you went to both shows.  Look at your bad self!

Too bad about the Velvet crowd.  That happens in DC sometimes....I hope he comes back in the Spring to a warmer reception.

Jaguär

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2003, 05:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  Ah, so you went to both shows.  Look at your bad self!

Too bad about the Velvet crowd.  That happens in DC sometimes....I hope he comes back in the Spring to a warmer reception.
:D  

Believe me, this group made the average laid back too cool for school DC crowd look wild and crazy. It was weird.

And I was able to buy a copy of 99th Dream which is generally out of stock from most vendors. What I really, really want desparately is a US copy of Mezcal Head.