Author Topic: Ah Yeah!!Joy Division Box Set  (Read 2405 times)

SPARX

Ah Yeah!!Joy Division Box Set
« on: November 12, 2003, 07:54:00 pm »
Limited-Edition 3xCD Joy Division Box Set Due This Month
 "And this chair. And this paddle-ball game. And this Joy Division box set, and that's all I need."
 [Posted Wednesday, November 12th, 2003 04:00:00 Pitchfork Central Time]

Joshua Sharp reports:
 Hey there, kiddies! Disgruntled Santa in the house, keeping it real on the wizzle-wagon, and all of that garbage. I've got a question for all of ya'll, and don't sweat the answer too much-- it's not the kind of question that you can get wrong. How many of you lovable tykes enjoy the seminal stylings of Joy Division? Don't even think about raising your hand, Billy, that was clearly a rhetorical question. Of course you like Joy Division! Their gloomy, tightly-woven, and freakishly danceable sound paved the way for all those shithead revivalists you eat up with a spoon, and they're widely regarded as one of the greatest bands of all time. But unfortunately for all you budding infant goths, singer Ian Curtis went to post-punk heaven way back in the May of 1980, after leaping in front of a kryptonite missile to save Superman's life.

At the time of the band's unseasonable demise, they had a pretty damn respectable collection of recorded material-- keeping in mind, of course, the sucker's motto of "quality over quantity." Someone up at the top of the food chain (I'm not gonna lie to you guys, it was the selfsame God that made your parents care so tragically little for your general well-being) decided that the band's discography wasn't quite bulbous enough for his liking, a minor grievance which was promptly amended by a little something us grownups refer to as "the posthumous release."

So to nurture the collectors with another round of scrumptious rarities and to extract a meaty wad of neon-green cash money from an artist's bloated corpse, Factory Records is releasing a Joy Division live box set on November 24th. Not only does it contain three whole shows of Joy Division at their indisputably all-time most live, but it also comes jam-packed with an extra-large t-shirt and a facsimile of a 1979 tour poster!

But of course, there's got to be some cruel and unusual twist specifically designed to make you simps bawl your beady little eyes out, and it's this: two of the three shows in this set (namely Preston and Les Bains Douche) have already been commercially released, and the so-called exclusive third concert (a show at the Paradiso in Amsterdam from January 1980) has been widely distributed for so long now that the first person to burn a CD-R of the bootleg invented the wheel eleven months later.

And while I'm sure the die-hard collectors out there (take that copy of Permanent out of your mouth, Billy, you're making Santa love you even less) would adore an official release of the Amsterdam concert, said collectors wouldn't be very good at their job if they didn't already own copies of the other two shows included in this set.

All t-shirts aside (and it's still unconfirmed whether the shirt is even a new design), this limited-edition box set extravaganza (only 3000 minted on planet Earth) fails to deliver anything new. Whether or not it's worth your coin is a purely subjective decision, which I'd wager has a lot to do with whether you already own these live performances, but one thing is made crystal clear by the law of the posthumous release: money talks, bullshit walks. And you little bastards are getting salads for Christmas! Never forget! Tracklist:

Les Bains Douche [live December 18th, 1979]:

01 Disorder
 02 Love Will Tear Us Apart
 03 Insight
 04 Shadowplay
 05 Transmission
 06 Day Of the Lords
 07 Twenty-Four Hours
 08 These Days
 09 A Means to an End
 10 Passover
 11 New Dawn Fades
 12 Atrocity Exhibition
 13 Digital
 14 Dead Souls
 15 Auto-suggestion
 16 Atmosphere

Paradiso Club [live January 11th, 1980]:

01 Passover
 02 Wilderness
 03 Digital
 04 Day of the Lords
 05 Insight
 06 New Dawn Fades
 07 Disorder
 08 Transmission
 09 Love Will Tear Us Apart
 10 These Days
 11 A Means to an End
 12 Twenty-Four Hours
 13 Shadowplay
 14 She's Lost Control
 15 Atrocity Exhibition

Preston Warehouse [live February 28th, 1980]:

01 Incubation
 02 Wilderness
 03 Twenty-Four Hours
 04 The Eternal
 05 Heart and Soul
 06 Shadowplay
 07 Transmission
 08 Disorder
 09 Warsaw
 10 Colony
 11 Interzone
 12 She's Lost Control

.: Factory: http://www.factoryrecords.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chills

Re: Ah Yeah!!Joy Division Box Set
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 09:43:00 am »
a few months ago i bought "fractured box set" (2 CDs) which claims to be limited to 1000 copies.  it has the Preston and Les Baines Douches show, but not the third.  

i never really believe the "limited edition" stuff, and there was nothing about the price that made me think it was more than just a standard 2 disc set.  

beyond all that nonsense, it is a pretty nice collection.  i never got into JD much beyond Closer, but it is fun to hear at least a somewhat raw-sounding version of some of their tracks.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 11:58:00 am »
how about a cure box set??

The Cure 'Dots' Four-Disc Boxed Set
 Thu Nov 13, 2:17 PM ET  Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Fans of veteran modern rock act the Cure will get a late Christmas present on Jan. 27, when the four-disc boxed set "Join the Dots: B-Sides and Rarities, 1978-2001 (The Fiction Years)" hits stores.

Frontman Robert Smith supervised the Fiction/Elektra/Rhino project, which will feature a 76-page booklet with track-by-track commentary from Smith and bassist Simon Gallup.

"The first thing I ever did when I got a new single was flip it over and play the other side," Smith said in a statement. "I always hoped the B-side would give me another version of the artist, something as good as the A-side but somehow different. I expected great B-sides from the artists I loved."

The 22-track first disc spans 1978-1987 and includes "Another Journey by Train" (the B-side to "A Forest") as well as a version of "Lament" which was only available in 1982 on a single inserted in copies of the magazine Flexipop. Disc two is highlighted by "Sugar Girl" (the B-side to "Just Like Heaven"), alternate mixes of "Icing Sugar" and "How Beautiful You Are" and three different versions of the Doors' "Hello I Love You."

The third disc, collecting 15 tracks from 1992-1996, sports tunes contributed to soundtracks for "The Crow" ("Burn") and "Judge Dredd" ("Dredd Song"), "Halo" (the B-side to "Friday I'm in Love") and covers of Jimi Hendrix (news)'s "Purple Haze" and David Bowie (news)'s "Young Americans."

Disc four rounds up 15 cuts from 1996-2001, such as an acoustic version of "Just Say Yes," the import-only "Coming Up," a cover of Depeche Mode (news - web sites)'s "World in Your Eyes" and alternate mixes of "Wrong Number," "This Is a Lie" and "Strange Attraction."

Earlier this year, the Cure wrapped up its tenure with Fiction/Elektra and signed with producer Ross Robinson's I Am imprint, although it is unknown what progress has been made on a new studio album.

Smith guests on "Believe," the first single from guitarist Earl Slick's upcoming album "Zig Zag," due Dec. 9 via Sanctuary.

Reuters/Billboard
OU812

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 12:19:00 pm »
If that Cure box set includes ALL of their B-sides, I would consider buying it.

Jaguär

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 12:40:00 pm »
Here's the listing.......

THE BOXSET - 300+ MINUTES WORTH - CONTAINS...
 THE CURE - JOIN THE DOTS - B-SIDES AND RARITIES 1978-2001 - THE FICTION YEARS

CD1 (1978 - 1987)
 01. 10:15 SATURDAY NIGHT
 02. PLASTIC PASSION
 03. PILLBOX TALES
 04. DO THE HANSA
 05. I'M COLD
 06. ANOTHER JOURNEY BY TRAIN
 07. DESCENT
 08. SPLINTERED IN HER HEAD
 09. LAMENT (flexipop version)
 10. JUST ONE KISS
 11. THE DREAM
 12. THE UPSTAIRS ROOM
 13. LAMENT
 14. SPEAK MY LANGUAGE
 15. MR PINK EYES
 16. HAPPY THE MAN
 17. THROW YOUR FOOT
 18. NEW DAY
 19. THE EXPLODING BOY
 20. A FEW HOURS AFTER THIS...
 21. A MAN INSIDE MY MOUTH
 22. STOP DEAD

CD2 (1987 - 1992)
 01. A JAPANESE DREAM
 02. BREATHE
 03. A CHAIN OF FLOWERS
 04. SNOW IN SUMMER
 05. SUGAR GIRL
 06. ICING SUGAR (weird remix)
 07. HEY YOU!!! (kevorkian 12" remix)
 08. HOW BEAUTIFUL YOU ARE (clearmountain 7" remix)
 09. TO THE SKY
 10. BABBLE
 11. OUT OF MIND
 12. 2 LATE
 13. FEAR OF GHOSTS
 14. HELLO I LOVE YOU (psychedelic version)
 15. HELLO I LOVE YOU
 16. HELLO I LOVE YOU (10sec version)
 17. HAROLD AND JOE
 18. JUST LIKE HEAVEN ('chuck' remix)

CD3 (1992 - 1996)
 01. THIS TWILIGHT GARDEN
 02. PLAY
 03. HALO
 04. SCARED AS YOU
 05. THE BIG HAND
 06. A FOOLISH ARRANGEMENT
 07. DOING THE UNSTUCK (saunders 12" remix)
 08. PURPLE HAZE (virgin radio version)
 09. PURPLE HAZE
 10. BURN
 11. YOUNG AMERICANS
 12. DREDD SONG
 13. IT USED TO BE ME
 14. OCEAN
 15. ADONAIS

CD4 (1996 - 2001)
 01. HOME
 02. WAITING
 03. A PINK DREAM
 04. THIS IS A LIE (palmer remix)
 05. WRONG NUMBER (smith remix)
 06. MORE THAN THIS
 07. WORLD IN MY EYES
 08. POSSESSION
 09. OUT OF THIS WORLD (oakenfold remix)
 10. MAYBE SOMEDAY (hedges remix)
 11. COMING UP
 12. SIGNAL TO NOISE (acoustic version)
 13. SIGNAL TO NOISE
 14. JUST SAY YES(curve remix)
 15. A FOREST (plati/slick version)

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 01:54:00 pm »
I really dug the cassette version of "Standing on a Beach -- the singles" because side 2 was all the b-sides. I would buy the box set for disc 1 alone. Wow.

ggw

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 02:10:00 pm »
They should have included 'Object' which was on the Boys Don't Cry vinyl but inexplicably replaced on the CD version.

Moon Mullen

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 02:10:00 pm »
Well, I guess I have no choice buy to pre-order the set when it becomes available. Thanks for posting the track listings!

Dandy01

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 02:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
  I really dug the cassette version of "Standing on a Beach -- the singles" because side 2 was all the b-sides.
me too, definitely prefer it to the CD version, it allows you to get lost in the experimentation.

Jaguär

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 02:35:00 pm »
They're probably saving it so they have a reason to sell yet another boxed set.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 03:23:00 pm »
No one needs that much Cure.  Just my opinion...