Author Topic: Front 242 Roll Call.  (Read 1570 times)

Medusa

Front 242 Roll Call.
« on: November 27, 2005, 10:47:00 pm »
I am so excited !!!!

Who will be there?

Not sure exactly what I'll be wearing yet but I will have one of my trademark glow in the dark necklaces on (blue in color) so if you see that/me, please say hi!

DJ Strange and others will be there and we can't wait!

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

hostiledm

Re: Front 242 Roll Call.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 05:06:00 pm »
Can't wait.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 05:11:00 pm »
I would love to go but have a birthday dinner party that will probably go past ten. ARGH!

hostiledm

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 10:08:00 am »
holy heck that was an amazing show. damn.

Medusa

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 05:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by hostiledm:
 holy heck that was an amazing show. damn.
I was very disappointed in this show (so was DJ Strange, for that matter).

It began with the technical difficulties re: microphones at the beginning which pretty much ruined the first 4 or so songs, and then the energy never seemed to pick up.  Of course perhaps I should have been in the thick of things downstairs but due to claustrophobia I get nervous in those situations.

Apparently Front 242 also played a shorter set last night than they have done in other cities (they played "Quite Unusual," plus more songs, in Chicago for instance).

The only highlight for me was that the visuals were absolutely stunning and luckily added some redemption to the evening.  The silhouettes of Richard 23 and Jean-Luc De Meyer against those backdrops were fantastic and very "Front 242" I thought.

If I had to pick songs I enjoyed they would be "Welcome To Paradise" and "Moldavia."  I was disappointed to not hear "Quite Unusual" and the version they did of "Headhunter" was terrible.

I'd been SO psyched up for this show so I really wish my views today were different. :/

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 05:46:00 pm »
Did they play "Never Stop" or "Im Rhythmus Bleiben"?

debaser

• www.lovefornickcave.com
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 06:12:00 pm »
I have to disagree with you on the visuals.  I found them quite primitive and given how other electronic acts have used them, quite antiquated.  I did love the silhouettes, but thought the image of the exploding sun in the mountain looked more "Dianetics" than dynamic.

Medusa

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 06:14:00 pm »
> Did they play "Never Stop" or "Im Rhythmus Bleiben"?

They played "Im Rhythmus Bleiben."

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 06:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by debaser:
  I have to disagree with you on the visuals.  I found them quite primitive and given how other electronic acts have used them, quite antiquated.  I did love the silhouettes, but thought the image of the exploding sun in the mountain looked more "Dianetics" than dynamic.
I was surprised as well with the light show actually. I thought it could have been better given the person that was running them. He's extremely talented and has done better work for VNV.

The turn out was more than what I expected for a Monday night and given the demographics of their fan base now.  I was glad to see live drums rockin out and everyone really moving around on stage.  If they didn't have that backing video, it would have been pretty dull.  Overall I thought the show was above average and I had fun bopping around.

Oh, and I think DJ Strange didn't like the show because I was blocking his view for a bit  :p

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Dandy01

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 09:33:00 pm »
I was disappointed as well, by the song choices, lack of energy, and overall sound.  I had expected so much more.  I don't feel like I witnessed the Front 242 they should've been.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 10:33:00 am »
Sure am glad I skipped this one! I saw them at the 9:30 a few years back after they issued a live album on a small indie label.....Metropolis,maybe?.......pretty good show if I can recall.....the time before that was the first time I saw them.........Orlando,Fl. back around '91 or '92....when they were still with Epic records and it was a large scale release.....saw them at a club called Visage....standing next to me at the Front show were some kids from one of the mostly crappy local bands that used to play there....one of the kids was a guy named Rob Thomas.....yeah,Matchbox 20 boy was a goth/punk when he was just a young lad........

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 02:04:00 pm »
the sound and the show were fine.  i like being almost induced into a seizure fit with pulsating lights. . . but luckily they had a sign. it did seem primitive, but two four two isn't exactly rolling in the euros; like one couldn't tell that by their "ride" out front.  

all in all, the entire show was a "hey, hey, look at me, i feel as if i'm back in the nineties fake rave scene, with girls in multi-day glow dreadies, and british billy boys in (fresh from the closet) leather jackets, when it's hot as a freaking oven in the club.

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 08:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  the sound and the show were fine.  i like being almost induced into a seizure fit with pulsating lights. . . but luckily they had a sign. it did seem primitive, but two four two isn't exactly rolling in the euros; like one couldn't tell that by their "ride" out front.  

all in all, the entire show was a "hey, hey, look at me, i feel as if i'm back in the nineties fake rave scene, with girls in multi-day glow dreadies, and british billy boys in (fresh from the closet) leather jackets, when it's hot as a freaking oven in the club.
oops, my mistake.  that was the greyarea's ride out front, that i saw.  greyarea did rock, though, and the show was full of, "god, i just know i'm so cool.  look at me people, look at me."  and i looked, looked LONG and HARD.