Author Topic: Ben Folds & Shatner  (Read 1227 times)

Sieve-Fisted

Ben Folds & Shatner
« on: September 10, 2004, 09:27:00 am »
ben teamed up with william shatner for upcoming shatner album - in stores october 5
 ben has teamed up with william shatner to co-write, produce and play on his upcoming album has been. bill and ben first worked together on ben's 1998 solo album, fear of pop "volume 1". has been includes appearances by artists such as henry rollins, brad paisley, aimee mann, lemon jelly, and joe jackson, who duets with shatner on a cover of pulp's "common people." also contributing to the project is british author nick hornby ("high fidelity, "about a boy") who co-wrote "that's me trying" with ben for the album.

They were both on Howard Stern this morning to talk about the album & play some song clips.  Stern and friends basically just goofed on the entire album & said they ā??just donā??t get itā?.  I think the songs are definitely out there, but in a good way. I canā??t imagine this album to be a huge seller.

Re: Ben Folds & Shatner
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 09:30:00 am »
Didn't we already establish that the Pulp cover was awful, or did I read that elsewhere?

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 09:57:00 am »
I heard parts of it played yesterday and thought it was terrible.

Bags

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 10:00:00 am »
Originally posted by Sailor Ripley:
Ditto.  On Stern they played quite a bit of it -- ohmigod.  Bad stuff.  And I'm sure one song didn't have Ben singing, it was like a country crooner singing verses/chorus in between Shatner's "spoken word" verses about how just because he saved the world on t.v. doesnt' mean he can do so in real life.  For one listen, it was hysterical because it was so damn earnest.  But, couldn't listen to it more than once....

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 10:03:00 am »
My guess is the country crooner was that pussy Brad Paisley.

Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by Sailor Ripley:
And I'm sure one song didn't have Ben singing, it was like a country crooner singing verses/chorus in between Shatner's "spoken word" verses about how just because he saved the world on t.v. [/b]

Bags

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 06:09:00 pm »
So I'm listening to the Stern show when they're on the phone with Shatner and Ben Folds.  It is HYSTERICAL.  

Howard just announced that it hasn't hit the news yet, but two former members of Led Zeppelin are currently working on an album with the actor who portrayed Captain Pike....

And Pete Townsend has been jamming with Sulu.  

I have been laughing my ass off....Howard gets serious and asks them both if they were on hallucinogens, certainly acid, when they recorded the album.

hitman

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 12:52:00 am »
Shatner should just throw in the towel.  Becoming a parody of yourself is just down right sad.

And Ben Folds should be putting his energy into things like music, not hyped bullshit.  I hate when he does stupid shit like this.  I really think he is a talented guy, but when he goes off in tangents like this, it makes me wonder.