Author Topic: Musician's earpieces  (Read 1412 times)

930clubber

Musician's earpieces
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:17:00 pm »
What are those earpieces that some musicians on stage wear that connects to a small electronic box on the belt?  I never really thought about them before until I saw Torquil Campbell of Stars reinserting them in ears every time they flew off during his frenetic dancing.

The either filter sound or receive wireless transmissions but neither makes much sense.  Anybody know?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Musician's earpieces
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »
they're called in-ear monitors.  instead of hearing themselves and the rest of the band through a stage monitor on the floor, musicians get their mix wirelessly through the in-ear monitors.  has the advantage of potentially saving the musician's hearing - you don't need to crank your IEM as loud as a stage monitor.  doesn't mean that some musicians don't, tho.  also, provides better mix isolation: you might have a band-mate playing three feet away from you, but you can each have completely different monitor mixes through your IEM.

from da wiki:
 I.E.M. (in-ear monitors) refers to a system of small, usually custom fitted, earpieces and transmitters used to provide foldback that in the past was fed to speakers in front of a performer on a stage. Wireless in-ear monitor systems are increasingly popular with musicians, since they allow more precise monitoring and freer movement on stage than fixed monitor speakers, and can incorporate sound-insulated ear-buds to provide hearing protection. For performances that include pre-recorded backing tracks, I.E.M. let the entire band synchronize with a click track without wearing cumbersome head-phones.
<sig>

930clubber

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »
thanks for the explanation.  i had ruled that out because the ear pieces didn't seem custom fitted  enough to provide effective isolation but what can you tell from many feet away in the audience?  (and campbell's experience with the IEM is a bad example.)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »
there are very expensive custom-fitted IEMs, and cheap one-size-fits-all off-the-shelf IEMs.  the latter might well pop out of your ears all the time if they're not right for you.
<sig>