Author Topic: Screamers at concerts  (Read 1766 times)

Bartelby

Screamers at concerts
« on: February 18, 2005, 01:11:00 pm »
El Tee and Bags's recent remarks about dirtball fans who talk/scream/laugh thru entire line-ups at concerts gave me an idea:  I'm going to print a laminated card with big enuf print to hold up which says "Shut the Fuck Up, PLEASE.  THIS IS A MUSIC VENUE NOT A FREEKIN' PICK-UP BAR. Thank you."  I'll hand these out at the next forumite party. I'm thinking about index-card size, so it'll fit in jean's back pockets...but I'm open to ideas on verbage or size. (The Pharmacist thinks some kind of sticky note would be effective, so you can just stick it on the back of the worst offenders...an idea which has legs.)

jpschust

Re: Screamers at concerts
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 01:16:00 pm »
what's worse, screamers or people clapping off beat?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 01:26:00 pm »
Back in my Dead days I used to have a sticker that said "Shut Up And Dance".

Sir HC

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »
The wolf-whistlers are the worst.  They are piercing.  Louder than the concert itself.

I would say business card size, with a wording like:

"I paid money to see the band, not hear you talk, either quiet down or leave"

tenfifteen

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 02:29:00 pm »
I'd settle for some kind of collective upgrade to the three-octaves-higher-than-your-normal-voice "WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" as a means to express admiration for the band.

I mean, when the sound coming out of a Toby Keith crowd is the same as the sound coming out of a Spoon crowd... Sheesh.

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 01:11:00 pm »
you will do what i say.  if i am at a concert, you must act like i will.  you will be a slave to the ways i think and act.  if not, i will be the ass that i am to make you follow the rules in which i impose on you.  follow my life or die.  i have these cards which i will shove in your face, and probably get the shit beat out of me when i try to tell people to shut up at a concert.  welcome to nineteen, eighty-four.  my opinion is the only thing that matters in this musical war.  and the pixies are the best band ever.  you will only be allowed to listen to the pixies.  and you must not speak, or move, or breathe, or stare too long, or think, or be, or pretend, or enter, or leave, or not listen to me.  i paid my money and money controls the way i want you to be.  

go buy a club and call it shut the fuck up, and see how much business you get.

saintangelsin

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 01:40:00 pm »
i don't like screamers too much. but if the show is really awesome and i'm enjoying myself, i could careless. when i saw vnv nation back in december, the whole crowd would make noise. it was great because the reward was a set that ran over the expected time of 2 hrs.

i think enthusiam is great at shows and concerts. the only thing that sucks is 12 year olds screaming in your ears. (haha)

really though this is what makes a show fun. i'm not complaining. but just contributing to the discussion.

andyrichter

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 02:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  you will do what i say.  if i am at a concert, you must act like i will.  you will be a slave to the ways i think and act.  if not, i will be the ass that i am to make you follow the rules in which i impose on you.  follow my life or die.  i have these cards which i will shove in your face, and probably get the shit beat out of me when i try to tell people to shut up at a concert.  welcome to nineteen, eighty-four.  my opinion is the only thing that matters in this musical war.  and the pixies are the best band ever.  you will only be allowed to listen to the pixies.  and you must not speak, or move, or breathe, or stare too long, or think, or be, or pretend, or enter, or leave, or not listen to me.  i paid my money and money controls the way i want you to be.  

:)  

Nicely stated.

Random Citizen

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 03:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:

I believe that place already exists.  ;)

Bartelby

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 03:44:00 pm »
Great idea, walkonby.  You've also laid out some new goals for emerging bands.  Play for free; capitalism sucks.  Thanks for sharing.

eltee

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 09:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by ChetAtkinsDiet:
  what's worse, screamers or people clapping off beat?
Are you on the same topic?  ;)

PigIron

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 05:40:00 pm »
People who scream stuff can certainly be annoying as hell.  But I've been to shows where the audience was so quiet that I was embarrassed.  I don't care how much people are in awe when they see PJ Harvey play, but for chrissakes, make SOME frigin noise.

Chisai Fry

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 05:56:00 pm »
I saw Hope Sandoval perform here a couple of years ago.  I went with some gals that I met recently, along with their boyfriends and mine.  The whole time the girls  went "WOO-HOO" at the end of every song, and was basically acting like a bunch of asses. They were the only ones making noise, and I was so embarrased.  Our friendship ended that night.  Sandoval was magnificent, and the show for everyone was ruined because of the drunken screamers.  

Don't get me wrong.  I love good crowd reaction, but you should know when to shut up.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 06:06:00 pm »
I bet she looked good, in spite of the screamers.

Originally posted by Chisai Fry:
  I saw Hope Sandoval perform here a couple of years ago.  I went with some gals that I met recently, along with their boyfriends and mine.  The whole time the girls  went "WOO-HOO" at the end of every song, and was basically acting like a bunch of asses. They were the only ones making noise, and I was so embarrased.  Our friendship ended that night.  Sandoval was magnificent, and the show for everyone was ruined because of the drunken screamers.  

Don't get me wrong.  I love good crowd reaction, but you should know when to shut up.

Chisai Fry

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 06:12:00 pm »
My boyfriend kept exclaiming, "aw, she's like a little fairy..."

She was as beautiful as her voice.