Author Topic: Radiohead - Upper Darby, PA rollcall :)  (Read 3210 times)

stu47

Re: Radiohead - Upper Darby, PA rollcall :)
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 11:38:00 pm »
they played last night and tonight in a philly suburb....they arent hitting the dc area this time out

Mobius

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 12:42:00 am »
Friday's show was phenomenal.  Got 8th row center from w.a.s.te.  (got'em at 6:30 am; learned lesson after waiting until 9 am for the 03 Merriweather show).  Tower was an excellenet venue. Big old theater, but intimite feel.  The crowd was exstatic and loud.  Very humid - which lends itself well to theatre shows (come to think of it, the only really good show I've seen at DAR was Pixies and it was overly hot and humid).

What can I say -  Radiohead are mastercraftsmen of sound (and light) in time and space (obviously a pretentious statement . . . but hey, I'm a Radiohead fan).  The new songs blended in seamlessly with the classics.  And they're ALL classics.   Highlights off the top of my head included Dollars and Cents, I Might Be Wrong,  The Bends (killed), Paranoid Android (KILLED), Let Down (K-I-L-L-E-D) Black Star (not the best from the Bends, but good to hear), How to Disappear, Idioteque.  Don't know the names of the new songs . . . one in particular stood out, kind of a love song . . .

Couple of thoughts (probably of the Lincoln shot, everyone already knows it variety but anyway) - Its amazing how these songs, many with an undercurrent of dread and paranoia, are so EXILLERATING live.  Its interesting how the guitar rock songs like the Bends blend with the later day electronic / looped songs.  Band is in good spirits, and tight.

Finally, hearing the Kid A (and Amnisiac) songs again, I think Kid A officially belongs in the pantheon with the Bends and OK Computer.   And it conveys the underlying darkness and anxiety of the era better than anything else I've heard. Yet it still feels good.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 10:19:00 am »
Originally posted by Mobius:
 Its interesting how the guitar rock songs like the Bends blend with the later day electronic / looped songs.
that's definitely my favorite aspect of a live radiohead show, they do a really good job with it live
(o|o)

amnesiac

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 11:03:00 am »
Wow...the Friday show was amazing.  I've seen 'em close to 10 times now, and that was definitely one of the best, if not the best I've ever seen 'em.  The venue was awesome and the sound was outstanding. Hearing "Black Star" and "Let Down" back-to-back was definitely the highlight for me, since I had not heard them play those songs before. I'm excited for LP7 - all the new stuff sounded great.  If I didn't spend so much money on this trip, I'd probably try to go to one of the NYC shows as well.

Anyone catch Willy Mason? I've been trying to see him for a while, but I got to Tower late and missed his set, which seemed to be very brief since I got there around 8:30...

jhw5g

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 01:21:00 pm »
Both nights were outstanding..WASTE tickets were worth the stress

I concur regarding Kid A songs live...Friday night's performance of Idioteque was unreal...perfect closer...and I read on AtEase that it wasn't even on the setlist...

Willy Mason was an interesting choice for opener...I enjoyed both of his sets very much...but he would have made more synergistic sense opening for someone a bit more rootsy...he made Radiohead seem even more larger than life

distance

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 02:40:00 pm »
i'm heading up to canada to see both toronto and both montreal shows.  i'd better get to hear black star and let down.  i haven't seen them do let down in ~9years.

i'm not a fan of this new version of 'nude'.
 the way they played it in 98 (which i got to see at RCMH night 1) was a lot better.