Author Topic: Jayhawks call it a day  (Read 4644 times)

Barcelona

Re: Jayhawks call it a day
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 12:46:00 pm »
I have a few Jayhawks albums, the only one that I like is "Tomorrow the Green Grass". I recall a show a couple or three years ago at the 9:30, the club got half empty before they finished their set, and they were the main act.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »
i agree on these...especially In Reverse. that was also a good tour (although the only time i've seen him).

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  i really like MS's "In Reverse"... then again i'm a sucker for that brand of pop and production.  the record he recently did for his japanese fans is good also.  it was apparently written and recorded in just a few days.

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 01:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sam Pulsize:
  I'll bet the Jayhawks came much closer to filling the 9:30 Club on their most recent tours than Matthew Sweet did on his.

yes, a sure sign of being relevant!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 02:30:00 pm »
never trust mainstream media   :)  

per  More Cowbell, would appear that the story was premature.  An email from Gary to the Jayhawks fansite indicates the door isn't quite closed yet...

http://jayhawksfanpage.com/Jayhawks%20news.html
T.Rex

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 02:33:00 pm »
well from a critics standpoint, the Jayhawks album finished #41 in the Village Voice Pazz and Jop critics poll for 2003 compared to #1730 for M. Sweet.

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

I'll bet the Jayhawks came much closer to filling the 9:30 Club on their most recent tours than Matthew Sweet did on his.

yes, a sure sign of being relevant! [/b]

frostytheswami

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

yes, a sure sign of being relevant! [/b]
Having seen both (the Jayhawks back in January last year and MS this past fall) the Jayhawks were a lot more "relevant" than Matthew Sweet. You couldn't give me a ticket to see Matthew Sweet again.

snailhook

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
awww, and i was hoping for another bland record or two. sheesh.

don't worry, there will be more radiohead albums out  
hahaha! and i was going to say "don't worry, there will be more muse albums out."

i saw the jayhawks four times, three of which were exceptional and one of which was just good.

as for the relevance of the band, who cares? that has absolutely nothing to do with artistic merit. 90% of the music i love is appreciated by a handful of people worldwide. it doesn't mean it's not good. relevance, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 05:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:

as for the relevance of the band, who cares? that has absolutely nothing to do with artistic merit. 90% of the music i love is appreciated by a handful of people worldwide. it doesn't mean it's not good. relevance, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
well said. [slow clapping]
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 05:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:

i saw the jayhawks four times, three of which were exceptional and one of which was just good.

apparently "bland" and "exceptional" are in the eye of the beholder too.  :)

ratioci nation

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2005, 10:33:00 pm »
I guess the jayhawks will hit it big tomorrow, they were played on the oc tonight

brennser

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2005, 06:41:00 pm »
02/23/05 Hang in there....the Jayhawks are not calling it quits just yet! For those of you who may have heard this via the Minneapolis Star Tribune article and other news sources it isn't quite as it seems. Gary Louris sent this to the FanPage yesterday:

Please assure the fanpage members that articles can be misleading and a
 musician has the right to waiver, so let everyone enjoy this tour and
 see where it may lead...I am having a blast and who knows where it
 might lead...I think that the Jayhawks may see another chapter if the
 time is right so let's not write the eulogies quite yet...we did say
 the door was still open...