Author Topic: Radio Continues On The Decline  (Read 1379 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Radio Continues On The Decline
« on: April 18, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »
Another one of your favorite topics.

Satcaster Advertising On The Rise

April 17, 2006

As XM and Sirius continue to evolve, it looks as if commercials will become more and more prevalent on the satcasters' stations. Already, XM has altered its slogan of "100% commercial-free music" to having the "most commercial-free music channels." Last month it was revealed that ads would be placed on Clear Channel-controlled XM stations as part of the companies' agreements.

Gartner Research analyst Laura Behrens told Business Week that she expects that the satcasters' programming will likely resemble traditional, terrestrial radio within the next five to ten years. "Eventually, [both satellite and terrestrial radio] are going to get more similar as they evolve." Since neither company has turned a profit yet, Forrester Research analyst Ted Schadler says that both "have to be looking for all revenue sources, and ads are one of them."

XM SVP of Sales and Marketing D. Scott Karnedy tells Business Week, "Advertisers were concerned about mass. When we broke through six million subscribers, we saw that as a tipping point [with advertisers]." In 2005, XM tripled the amount of ad agencies it was involved with as ad revenues have skyrocketed in the past two years, reaching $20 million last year. Karnedy says that XM "can't keep up with the demand." The company expects to up its amount of ads on its talk channels in the near future.

As for Sirius, ad sales grew to $6.1 million last year. The satcaster is also considering increasing the spotload on Howard Stern's show from six minutes per hour up to nine, reports Business Week.

Stanford Financial Group analyst Fred Moran tells Business Week that he predicts both satcasters will bring in 10 percent of their sales revenue via advertising by 2011. Sirius predicts they will reach that amount in the next few years, though advertising only makes up under one percent of their current sales.

Bartelby

Re: Radio Continues On The Decline
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »
I don't think it will take 5 to 10 years to resemble commercial radio.  My gym plays xm channel 21 adult contemp. rock and I want to shoot myself when I forget my iPod.

Did anyone really think that some higher level intelligent/taste-maker would program the selections? What a rip-off for people who spent real money for equipment and service.

bellenseb

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 02:32:00 pm »
Very true. There's not a single channel on either service that even comes close to the programming on KEXP, WOXY, The Current, most college radio stations, et al. The programming is by and large terrible and clueless. However, we do get to hear Lance Armstrong play his favorite songs! Way to go, satellite radio companies.

SPARX

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 04:44:00 pm »
Here's what is played most this week at our local college station:                                                                                             #   ARTIST                        Recording
  1   SECRET MACHINES              Ten Silver Drops
  2   BUILT TO SPILL                You In Reverse
  3   BLACK ANGELS                  Passover
  4   ISLANDS                     Return To The Sea
  5   ARCTIC MONKEYS               Whatever People
  Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
  6   NEKO CASE            Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
  7   EDITORS                       The Back Room
  8   ENVELOPES                     Demon
  9   BOY LEAST LIKELY TO      The Best Party Ever
  10   ESSEX GREEN                   Cannibal Sea
  11   HEAD LIKE A KITE              Random Portraits