Author Topic: The Nightwatchman cometh  (Read 3257 times)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: The Nightwatchman cometh
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by lagas:

Originally posted by callat703:

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  i'm such a comics nerd.

i'm finally getting around to reading 'maus.' and i'm getting caught up on the 'fables' series now.
Maus is outstanding.  I'd say it is more history than it is comic, though.  Graphic non-fiction, perhaps? [/b]
Interesting, it coud be, but Spiegelman's characterization of Nazis as cats and Jews as mouses put the historical facts into a straight forward comic language, consequentially, it creates another world. Either way, I kind of agree with you on that.
 Another favorite, I never really moved on from Gaiman's Sandman [/b]
I've read the first volume in Gaiman's Sandman and it may be the creepiest shit. Seriously.

I really liked Marvel 1602 which he also wrote.

ANNNNND since no one has brought it up yet. Y: The Last Man FTW
nothx

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  If you like "Fables", Miss P (which I think is so-so) I suggest you search for the first twelve fifteen issues of "The Elementals" which is a comic book Bill Willingham both wrote and drew back in the 80's.

Brian

I just finished the first volume of 'Fables' last week and the verdict is still out on it. i dont feel like a voice has really been established yet so I'm sort of waiting for that to pan out, but I'm willing to give it a couple more books.
nothx

lagas

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

Originally posted by lagas:

Originally posted by callat703:

i'm such a comics nerd.

i'm finally getting around to reading 'maus.' and i'm getting caught up on the 'fables' series now.
Maus is outstanding.  I'd say it is more history than it is comic, though.  Graphic non-fiction, perhaps? [/b]
Interesting, it coud be, but Spiegelman's characterization of Nazis as cats and Jews as mouses put the historical facts into a straight forward comic language, consequentially, it creates another world. Either way, I kind of agree with you on that.
 Another favorite, I never really moved on from Gaiman's Sandman [/b]
I've read the first volume in Gaiman's Sandman and it may be the creepiest shit. Seriously.

I really liked Marvel 1602 which he also wrote.

ANNNNND since no one has brought it up yet. Y: The Last Man FTW [/b]
Hugely recommended: Sandman's House of Dolls AND most def Season of Mists - Ive read it both in English and Spanish, cant decide which one is better
   :D
zorra

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 01:08:00 pm »
  i'm such a comics nerd.

Speaking of comics and...ummm...Jews, I didn't know this until I read it on the wikipedia page for "Fables":

More recently Willingham has explicitly tied his series to a pro-Israeli political stance, stating "Politically, I'm just rabidly pro-Israel and so that, as a metaphor, was intended from the beginning."

I've only read the first "Fables" story arc.  The murder mystery one.

For someone well read (in, well, fairy tales) it must be like a poor man's version of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" in terms of the literary in-jokes.

Brian